1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Accidentally Overwhelmed by Quests!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BigPun, Nov 7, 2016.

1. BigPun

BigPun Rookie

I just started playing an hour or two ago and already I have so many quests that I want to gouge my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon!

It's one thing if I do it to myself, however...but these weren't on purpose - that I accepted all these tasks and quests were purely accidental.

I think that if an item on the ground (or wherever) is going to automatically give a player a task/quest, the 'eye' should be of a different color - preferably orange. That way, a player can say 'no' to adding another task/quest to his/her list.

What do you guys think? Agree? Disagree?

2. Bacterial

Bacterial PG Community Overlord (outdated) Staff Member

is there a third option? add a poll to the thread maybe?

3. BigPun

BigPun Rookie

Make a suggestion. Is this not what boards are for? Discussion?

Do you need a "poll" in order to say yes or not?

Interesting....

4. Bacterial

I mean a poll to see statistics, this makes discussions more interesting imo.

5. DeadSkullzJr

DeadSkullzJr Phazon Army Leader Golden Founder

Polls help determining a suggestion because the more people we get to vote on the poll the more the developers know of what possible changes they can do to improve the experience for everyone.

6. Vollmond

Vollmond Золотой броненосец Golden Founder

I'd like to vote for gouge out eyeballs.
    So... can I?

7. DeadSkullzJr

DeadSkullzJr Phazon Army Leader Golden Founder

no need for such comments, make a proper poll and see what other players have to say about the eye. Maybe the developers will change it.

Vollmond likes this.
  8. BigPun

BigPun Rookie

Or perhaps you could do something simple like, I don't know, say "I agree/disagree" and possibly even offer an alternative or add to what has been suggested.

This banter back and forward does no good to further any decent discussion about such a change.

Also, I didn't read anywhere that stated "all suggestions will be dismissed immediately without a poll."

Just saying.
    --- Nov 9, 2016 ---
    I see what you mean now, but I don't see how radial buttons add to the discussion. Either you like the idea or you don't. If you don't, then say so or offer your own solution.

Perhaps you should add to the "forum rules" that suggestions will be ignored when they aren't coupled with a poll.

9. Stolpskott

Stolpskott Inquisitive Golden Founder

FIrst off, ways of (possibly) refusing the quest:
    • The "item on the ground gives a quest" items all have a progress bar that ticks up , so you have to stand there for several seconds. That progress bar is not necessarily easy to see if you are not expecting it, but it is there.
    • Assuming you let the progress bar complete (either through not noticing it and not moving away in time, or just out of curiosity), once you are offered a dialog option, there is sometimes the option of pressing Escape to get out of the dialog, but I have not specifically noted whether this works for such quests.
    • If pressing Escape does not work, then usually closing the program and reloading will help (I know, the nuclear option is a bit excessive as a method of refusing a quest, but the option is available in most cases). However, in the case of quests such as we are discussing here, I am not sure if the "Close and restart the game" approach would work - if the game spawns you in the place you just quit, the progress bar might start again, leaving you at the same dialog you are trying to quit out of when you get into the game.
    • That could be frustrating, if you cannot get to chat to enter the /unstuck command and return to the zone's spawn point.

Second, once you have accepted the quest, given that there is currently no "Delete/Remove Quest and Reset All Progress On It To Date"option:
    • The option exists to accept the quest and then un-track it in the quest log (press J, find the mission in either the "Secondary" or "Research" tabs, left click the mission and click the "Track" button in the bottom right corner to remove the yellow mark on the quest in the log, and remove it from the UI overlay.
    • There does not appear to be any maximum quest count for the quest log, although the UI overlay can show so many quests that not all are properly displayed, and they can often distract from whatever you are trying to accomplish, in which case untracking a few that are apparently just noise at the moment can be a great help.

If you feel you are already suffering with mission overload, and adding another quest is just too much, then the lack of an elegant option to refuse a quest can be an irritation. But there are bound to be a few quirks and rough edges in the game at this stage, and if none of the quest refusal mechanisms work, then untracking the quest is the only option I can come up with (short of deleting the character, which I would personally dismiss as a little extreme for this kind of problem).

10. BigPun

BigPun Rookie

There are notes and items scattered on the ground and as soon as you pick them up (while looking for other items for another 'quest') it immediately gives you a quest. There's no dialogue, there's no escape, there's no way out. That is the 'quest-type' to which I'm referring.
    --- Nov 9, 2016 ---
    To clarify, the 'eyes' on the ground do NOT differentiate from being an item or a quest-giver. There's no way to tell and that's what this suggestion seeks to change.

11. Bacterial

Suggestions won’t be
    Also, markers will be definitely improved, but Idk whether in this way or not.
    And about your last note: to my knowledge there are no items scattered on the ground without purpose, I mean you can’t pickup loot this way, so expect all «eyes» to be quest-givers, but a choice to decline random quest would be good in this case, I agree.

12. BigPun

BigPun Rookie

There are several things on the ground (in the newbie area) that don't give quests - PLUS - one of the first quests tells me to go gather notes that are scattered around, which forced me to look at all eyes hoping it was one of the documents and then - whoops - another quest.

Not a huge deal and it's certainly not a hard thing to implement (coloring of eye), so I suppose it's a win/win. lol. That's how I see it, anyway.

Anyway, thanks all.