1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

ADS & Postures

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cavadus, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Cavadus

Cavadus Inquisitive Silver Founder

Just some quick suggestions but would be nice to get some aim-down-sights action for right+click. And obviously optics would be great as well.

Additionally, crouching, laying prone, and the associated movement types would be very welcome especially if they had some interesting stat effects (prone gives a more stable firing position so the cone-of-fire is reduced, et cetera).

2. Deorg

Deorg Мерсские фореве Golden Founder

It definitely will be done in the future. The aim-down-sight by the right button click exactly, but i'm not sure about additional movement types.
    I think that fights will be fast and active, and does not make sense to crouch)

3. Cavadus

Why would it not make sense to crouch? What if you're using cover and that cover is only waist high? Crouch, reload, pop-up and shoot. Shooter gameplay 101, man.

Doesn't matter if combat is fast or slow; crouch and prone should ALWAYS be available. If you want to just fully stand in the open during firefights that's your prerogative but I have zero intention of playing that way.

4. OctoberNight

OctoberNight Cookies Golden Founder

It depends on what direction they go with the combat system. personally I am really hoping for fast pace combat where your ability to stay alive has more to do with constantly being on the move instead of a more static cover style combat.

5. Sir CrossBorn

Sir CrossBorn Community Manager, English Forum Staff Member

There are quite a large number of FPS games that do not have a prone position. I cannot say what they have planned for postures but I can say that the ADS is planned for the future for sure. It could be possible they will have a crouch posture, and since there will be a sniper rifle they may have a prone posture as well. Its a good question I will see what I can find out for you.

6. Sahelanthropus

Sahelanthropus Space engineer Founder

I would love to have a cover system like in mass effect..

7. Cavadus

You can have fast-paced combat where maneuvering is central and still have crouching and prone. These two things are not mutually exclusive and to think otherwise is obtuse.

8. Lupur

Lupur Rookie Golden Founder

I like the idea of crouching, that should be a standard of any type of 'shooter' game.

You can hide behind low cover to take less damage, hide behind things while reloading, and even improve your sneakiness by practicing 'how not to be seen ( at the very least in PvP, i cant imagine it would be worth the time / effort to make it part of PvE core game play, at least not at this stage )'.

I am.. not so fond of going prone.

As long as there are no actual buffs to stealthy-ness / range and whatnot as a trade-off for the lack of mobility, then it should be fine. My main concern, really, is the clunky-ness of the 'feel' of even the most modern shooter, and its effect on the 'flow' of movement.
    In PvE it would be a cool thing, smaller profile would make it easier to fight ranged mobs, especially from 'higher ground'.
    In PvP it would be awesome as it would make it had for folks to get a good read on where you are, even if the minimap were to light up after your first shot, the brief window where they try to eyeball you, is more than enough of a trade-off for when folks stumble accross your hiding spot and cap you while you try to stand.

Also, no-one mentioned this, but just briefly-ish - wall / cover hugging and leaning.

I am not a fan.
    Leaning would be useful if stealth / cover will be predominant enough in the storyline / missions to be worth working on. At the moment the 3rd person camera provides enough angle to view around corners, so it is pretty much completely unnecessary. Unless you want it just to taunt folks in PvP, I guess.
    Wall / Cover hugging is just painful to think about, I'm no programmer, but I'm getting a headache just thinking about all of the sides and angles of all the possible, boxes, benches, railings, trees, rocks ? I get that its cool and fun in single / duo games, and arcades where you can take a brief moment to gather yourself or attrition your foes, but it really has no place in an mmo. Other than the difficulty to program and balance, it is just excessive stuff to break the flow of one of the most basic and vital parts of a game - movement.

o7 lup

9. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

I agree that fluid movement is important and should take a higher precedence over too detailed 'cover mechanics' which also most likely are very hard to code and add a lot of overhead to both development and real time implementation.

Having constant combat and ease of movement from one engagement to the next makes for a much better play experience in an MMO type shooter than a very slow and careful cover based shooter style of play.

I see for example the Far Cry games which are very much cover based and tactics of how to creep around and ambush enemies that do not detect the player - that works very well in that single player context. That does not work in the MMO FPS shooter style of game where other players are also in the same world.

In MMO FPS we need to emphasize the fluid motion aspect to keep multiple players always moving quickly from one thing to another either to help one another or two engage in new combat nearby.

Some amount of cover mechanics are important - of course! Just not as much as in Single Player PvE vs. MMO PvE. PvP may be much different??

MolliMayhem and Skerrick like this.
  10. Skerrick

Skerrick Cobber Silver Founder

Crouch is pretty much a standard feature now days in just about all FPS games.
    Prone is useful in single player games but no so much in MMO FPS games.
    As a member of a large squad/platoon on the hunt for targets in open world PVE you barely have time to crouch let alone go prone. All is needed are objects in the environment that a player can quickly crouch behind. Prone also takes up valuable keyboard space. Same applies to leaning.

As for wall/cover hugging - NO, for the love of RNGesus NO.

Pighead Elderberry likes this.
  11. Arcaine

Arcaine C# / C++ developer Founder

ADS is nice, but as a 3rd Person game lover....I don't want to see (and i think a few other ppl too) such thing like rightclick to firstperson mode aiming, so a little Zoom and improved accuracy while playing 3rd and activated ADS would be nice, except for sniper rifles and other loooong range stuff.

Maybe there will be something like switchable 1st/3rd person mode later, would be nice.

Skerrick likes this.
  12. Live2Explore

Live2Explore Rookie Founder

Stances should have pros and cons if added. I like the idea of crouch honestly and agree with OP. No matter how fast or slow the combat is, stances/crouching can be implemented with this single piece of info in mind: You as a player will not always be the focus of the enemy when you are in a group.

Example: Me and a partner are fighting a single enemy. The enemy is focused on my partner.
    Say:

Crouch Pro= +5 accuracy/+5 damage/ (These are 2 options, not total)
    Crouch Con= -10 movement/-10 shields/ (These are 2 options, not total)

So if the pro would be to be more accurate crouched and you were not the priority of the enemy, it'd make sense to crouch if you wanted, or you stay standing and be on the move to get a better advantage. Choices and play-styles are good.