1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Combat Mechanics | Now and future

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Pighead Elderberry, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

I would like to start a thread about the current state of combat mechanics and also where the future will be going (from contributions from the devs when they have time).

So here it is!

2. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

COMBAT NOW - JUST POST 1ST OPEN WORLD PATCH

[ALL OR SOME OF THIS MAY BE IN DEVELOPMENT ALREADY]
    [I JUST WANT TO BRING IT UP FOR DISCUSSION]

Right now pretty much all combat with any creature (ranged or melee) seem for me to result in me standing and shooting until the enemy dies or I get too wounded and run away if I can. This is toe to toe with melee (Hounds), this is at range with ranged.

Reasons for this:

1)
    PROBLEM
    If I shoot an enemy it does not slow it down or stop it, so shooting and backing up does not work well for this reason.

SOLUTION(S)
    If we land a shot on an enemy, they can pause slow down, get knocked back etc.

2)
    PROBLEM
    If we shoot and then run back (kite) an enemy, most melee enemies catch up to us very fast and we hardly get any shots in if the enemy is any real challenge

SOLUTION(S)
    Same as (1) AND perhaps our ability to land shots when moving could be improved a bit

3)
    PROBLEM
    When we run back leading an enemy (kiting) after a pretty short radius from their start point they regain100% health and may rubber band (jump suddenly) back to their start at 100% health. We get wounded, heal slowly. They get wounded, heal to 100% instantly. Uh oh!

SOLUTION(S)
    Extend the range enemies can travel and still remain in combat, do NOT let them go to 100% health, let them go back to their safety zone but heal slowly along the way and heal slowly when they return to their 'home' zone.

4)
    PROBLEM
    Unless an enemy is considerably lower level, it most always seems to take multiple shots to kill them even with a pretty decent weapon and build (for example, Level 5 char with Common Marauder Pistol and Agility 15 still rarely one shots the Level 1 diggers outside the door).

I can feel that (in particular with automatic fire) and just pouring lead into every enemy in the same way waiting for their health bar go down which makes all combat seem the same (and a little boring).

SOLUTION(S)
    More evident/obvious critical shot areas to give us more of a 'one shot kill' chance, more options for higher damage lower fire rate weapons, ability to one shot from a prone posture, whatever...

AGAIN - I AM SURE THE DEVS ARE THINKING OF ALL OF THIS ALREADY!

I just want to bring it up for discussion on the English language forums and have comments and dev comments when they have time for that sort of thing.

Thanks!

3. Sachek

Sachek Old School Founder

I'd like to see a bit of variation in the bloom of weapons - some that favor mobility while firing, etc.

It would make the combat more dynamic.

That brings up a couple of questions for the devs:
    Will we be getting a crouch function and more importantly, the ability to dodge?