1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Community Suggestions for Character Creation/Customization

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Fairdwin, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Fairdwin

Fairdwin Rookie Silver Avalonian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Name of idea/catagory (size 5 font, bold): Description, if you have an image to show an example use a spoiler to save space.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My contributions:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hair colors: Unnatural colors like red, blue, pink, green. We have gene augs and cybers (to a point). It's not out of reason to thing hair dye has come a ways, or that we don't have some kind of cosmetic gene therapy for it?

Ethnic Presets: Something to get people a starting point for different regions. Maybe have it change the available settings a little? For example, Asian's have a lower max height? Not sure how useful this idea will be, it depends on the type of character customization used. I'm hoping for something like APB, Phantasy Star Online 2, or Black Desert Online; but somehow doubt it? But hey, I can hope and dream.

Body Tattoos: It would be cool if there were some full body tattoos as well as just an arm or other such things. Something tribal would be cool.

Prosthetics: Will this be a thing? Or will they be solely under skin? Only appear after you buy/implant them? Not sure about this, but allowing us to give arms and legs a paint job, slap on some decals. That would be cool.

Kaori and Vesta like this.
  2. Stolpskott

Stolpskott Inquisitive

I would also like to see a rich and detailed character customisation setup. I remember spending hours (literally... but not lots of hours) in the Star Wars Galaxies character creator trying to get specific looks, and that definitely helped with character immersion, and as graphics capabilities have come a long way since then it would be nice to see. I know that most guys just gravitate to the "Breast Size" slider, and whack it up to maximum, but I would like to see something a little more in-depth :p

I think the prosthetics will come in "naturally" with the introduction of the Human/Synthetic/Mutation optional system. At least, I would assume so. After all, if you can have a synthetic organ, why not a synthetic limb?

The ethnic presets would be a little difficult, because while I would agree that, for example, Asians have a lower AVERAGE height. But the tallest living Asians are only about 2-3 inches (5-7cm) shorter than the tallest living man (who happens to be Turkish, another group that I would usually think of as being below average height :) ). So while the "Asians are shorter" meme is usually true, they are capable of the same range of physical dimensions as the rest of us. But if they give us a few "ethnic average" starting points, I cannot see a problem with that :)

Tattoos would be nice. Being able to give my Japanese blade-wielding futuristic Samurai a full-body Irezumi without pissing off some Yakuza clan member would be good.

Fairdwin and Kaori like this.
  3. Kaori

Kaori Inquisitive Golden Founder

I often spend a LOT of time in character customization, especially for my main character!

My main character in BDO took a total of 10 hours to create. She had 9 presets (different cosmetics, tattoo, hair color and hair style). This was the last pic I took of her: http://i.imgur.com/8CItzv8.png

I don't believe that a game can have too many tattoo, hair style and hair color choices. The more the merrier!

Having a variety of hair coloring and layer options is the most important cosmetic in my opinion, because it is seen from the furthest away and at every angle (if you're not wearing a helmet, obviously).

I would love to see Project Genom have a similar depth in character customization as some of the recent games on the market! Please dazzle me in hair color options! Stul2_girl

Stolpskott, Fairdwin and hnom123 like this.
  4. Stolpskott

Stolpskott Inquisitive

I would suggest starting with this small selection of colors for the hair color option. It should be enough to keep Kaori in options for a few characters :p
    (Helpfully includes both the CYMK and RGBHex color values)

Kaori likes this.
  5. Fairdwin

Another cool thing they could do is give a you a choice of main hand. Are you right handed, or left handed? Personally I'm right handed and it's my preference, but ti could create some variety in characters just from that.

hnom123 likes this.
  6. Stolpskott

Stolpskott Inquisitive

The shot pathing when looking over-the-shoulder might look a bit wierd with the option of left-handed main hands (ok, it looks wierd for right-handers, so maybe even wierder for lefties), but it might not be too bad and if it is bad, then it definitely could be made to work with a little (maybe?) extra coding.
    No pressure on the devs there :p

7. Fairdwin

True, but it is something that hasn't been done before? Still, it would definitely be a secondary thing.

8. Kaori

I don't think that this has been done before for an MMORPG and I think the reason why is because you would have to redo every animation again for opposite handed character animations. Dual weapons are already going to be held off until they get all the single weapon animations finished first. For the size of the dev team, that would add up to be quite a few animations! Ha ha.

Maybe it's something they can work on in beta. :)

9. Stolpskott

Stolpskott Inquisitive

I have seen left-handed characters implemented in a game, but I am damned if I remember which one. The reason I remember it, I think, is because I tried it and was incredibly surprised how odd it felt to be left-handed - I thought it would just feel the same as being right-handed and just be a role-playing/detail aspect but it felt really wierd.

10. Kaori

Yes, there are a number of games that feature playable, left handed characters. I'm only familiar with some of these games so I'm not sure if this list is completely accurate:

• Aya Brea from Parasite Eve
    • Barett from Final Fantasy VII
    • Bowser, Jr. from Mario series
    • Cid from Final Fantasy VII
    • Dom from Gears of War 2
    • Freya Crescent from Final Fantasy IX
    • Kain from Final Fantasy IV
    • Link from the Legend of Zelda
    • Luke fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss
    • Mega Man
    • Nero in DMC4
    • Patrick Galloway in Clive Barker's Undying
    • Samus Aran from Metroid
    • Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII
    • Shadow the Hedgehog
    • Sheva Alomar from Resident Evil 5
    • Tifa from Final Fantasy VII
    • The Space Marine from Doom

This has been asked for before in MMORPG forums and while quoting some previous answers to this question, it appears that this request does not make it into game as a feature because one would have to take every animation in the game and mirror it (and that could either be relatively easy or extremely difficult depending on various factors (what animation program they used, does the animation file it produces allow for batch editing, how centered is the parent on the XYZ axis, etc.).

You also have to mirror all animations for the weapons (both drawn and stowed), which have the same problem as character animations.

Then you have to make changes to the user interface to include a button to toggle handedness.

Then you have to go through every action in the game that makes an animation call and change it so that it will call the correct animation for the current handedness setting. This could either be accomplished by manually adding a conditional statement on every animation call or somehow make the toggle automatically modify all animation calls to reference the correct files (which might not even be possible, depending on the scripting language).

Unfortunately, this would be too much work for too little gain, especially in the case of a small independent game company. But it would be pretty cool, wouldn't it?

Fairdwin likes this.