1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Cover System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GDaps, May 11, 2016.

1. GDaps

GDaps Rookie

Please take a look into putting a cover system into the game. Most 3rd person games has this in place. It adds more dynamic fights and will allow you to increase the difficulty of the AI, plus it will give it more of that Mass Effect, Gears of War, Ghost Recon, The Division combat which would reach out to that BIG player base. I played Defiance with no cover system was a big issue for me, because the combat felt lame and even tho it had a dodge mechanic it wasn't enough.

2. VanValdenburg

VanValdenburg Rookie Founder

I don't think a cover system like in The Division would be any good here but maybe that's just me.
    As i understand project genom is no coop shooter where the cover system is coming from but a MMOTPS.

Rather would like to see the actual ability to take cover without a dedicated system that locks you on surfaces.
    What i mean is to be able to crouch for example or go prone. Maybe a few different stances like you see in Arma3.

vxsw, Pighead Elderberry and GDaps like this.
  3. Bacterial

Bacterial PG Community Overlord (outdated) Staff Member

well, there will be no that kinda «sticky» mechanic one can see in say The Division, but you could cover behind walls, trees, and etc. for sure
    maybe in some future there will be dodge moves, maybe
    also, there will be some «tactic system», CM will say about it a bit later
    thats all we can say about the topic as of now

Fac3man, Pighead Elderberry and GDaps like this.
  4. MolliMayhem

MolliMayhem Wanderer Bronze Founder

Dodge moves would be fun I think. As for cover, I'd rather just jump behind trees or rocks or whatever happens to be handy, as you say.

Pighead Elderberry and GDaps like this.
  5. Wyntyr

Wyntyr Rookie Founder

I like both options if time/resources permit. However if only one version is viable...I recommend a dodge move if the avatar movement is very fluid/quick..but...if the avatar movement is fairly slow, then I would go with sticky mechanics.

GDaps likes this.
  6. BunnyBerserk

BunnyBerserk Inquisitive

And what about shooting while running ?

7. OctoberNight

OctoberNight Cookies Golden Founder

If we have a sticky cover or dodge system I would prefer to see a dodge system. In an open environment like what PG will be it would be a tall order to ensure there was always some kind of cover you could stick to. I feel it would in a way limit how creative the devs could be with the open world to much where as a dodge roll mechanic would not have any real effect on how they design the open world.

8. Live2Explore

Live2Explore Rookie Founder

There is already shooting while running already in the game. :)

9. Krimzun Bludbath

Krimzun Bludbath Rookie Bronze Founder

Please don't do this... I played the Division and while I enjoyed parts of the game the cover system was one of the worst implemented ideas ever. It lead to massive exploits with how some of the skills stacked, and it leads to lazy game play. I'd rather have crouch in the game and be able to use it to hide behind structures, but being rooted to a structure like the Division no thanks. It just makes the movement clumsy as you barrel roll and bounce off geometry in an unintuitive way.

Live2Explore and Goodday like this.
  10. Cavadus

Cavadus Inquisitive Silver Founder

A sticky cover system is unlikely but I'd just be happy with a posture system. At least give us crouch and prone. If it could be something more, like high, low, and normal stances for each posture and left and right leans, that would be even more awesome.

But I can make-do with crouch and prone.

11. Sheridan

Sheridan Rookie

Cover system is over done in games to the point it is lazily added without appreciation of making it work properly. Especially in a game where the use of AOE is to be highly expected.

That said, a flanking system might be more useful. Take more damage if you get shot in the side or the back vs. the front.

12. Bitle

Bitle Rookie

flank sounds plausible....though in pvp I'm not convinced. cover in the form of projectile impacts terrain such as trees/rocks/barrels yes please......gears of war stick....no thank you....unless it's button activated, then maybe.....maybe