1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Early Access starts in Q4 this year

Discussion in 'Information' started by Vesta, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Vesta

Vesta 3D modeller Staff Member

Neuronhaze opts for Pay & Play system for Project Genom. The Early Access is scheduled to start in Q4 this year.

We decided to avoid going through the popular Free2Play system and opted for the simple Pay and Play. We are gamers ourselves and think it’s unfair to entice players with the promise of a free game and then force them to pay on regular basis, often by requiring them to acquire various items and equipment for real money. We strongly believe that you should get access to all content by paying just once.” – says art director Alex Sergeev. “We recently started a closed alpha test and found the game already a genuinely enjoyable experience. We should be ready for Early Access in Q4, even though the game has still a long way to go, because we have lots and lots of ideas for it. We’ll talk about them in the near future.

About the Sci-Fi MMORPG Project Genom:
    Project Genom is being developed by a team of enthusiasts with the goal of creating an ideal MMO experience for all fans of the sci-fi setting around the world. In addition to the authors’ vision, the game is shaped by the feedback and ideas provided by players who are participating in the closed alpha test.

In Project Genom, you take on the role of a survivor of Earth’s terrible ecological catastrophe and embark on a journey to discover new planets, encounter the alien wildlife and numerous enemies. On this mission the players will be free to choose their next course of action – for ex. will they help the outpost or themselves? Each choice will influence the storyline and some of the actions can significantly alter the world of Genom itself. To combat the hostiles players will have access to a vast arsenal of weapons, equipment and mechs and in order to travel between the planets you will have to build an entire spaceship!

Attached Files:

2. Nicco

Nicco Rookie

Need a little clarification here,the quote says "pay&play" and then "We strongly believe that you should get access to all content by paying just once",so there's a monthly fee or it's just a one time buy?

3. Vesta

In our case at this moment it will be only one time buying Early access and play.

4. Nicco

Nicco Rookie

So it is a buy to play model,the best nowadays because the monthly fee subscription games are struggling to keep a wide player base and often are forced to switch business plan losing credibility.

5. Nikoku

Nikoku Rookie

I truly am glad to hear you're going to try the Buy to Play method(If i understood correctly that is.)

6. Vesta

Nikoku, if you have some questions, we are opened to hear them ;)

7. Siiper

Siiper Rookie

So this game coming to P2P system well i guess this not bad but you should plan for a long term about this system or will become like Star Wars Online,Elder Scroll Online, ETC...

but first thing i want to know did you already clearly made up a price about this game yet?

8. Nikoku

Nikoku Rookie

Well, i'd like clarification if the game will be:

A: Bought once, access to all content with purchase. Excluding possible future expansions.

B: Subscription based. The opening post seems a bit confusing, to me atleast.

Also, will you be introducing additional microtransactions for real life funds, if so, will you have a way to obtain the same items through in-game work?

Ah yes, one more thing. Have you thought about adapting a Founder's program in the future which would sell base game, maybe a headstart into the game, cosmetics, titles or so forth bundled up together?

9. Vesta

At Early Access phase we`ll use system -- You bought once and play without restrictions (b2p), at the release phase we are thinking about of free to play system.
    The price will be announced closer to sales starting.

10. Nikoku

Nikoku Rookie

I see, i had the picture you would avoid Free to Play system at all costs, well, that's what was stated on the opening post.

''We decided to avoid going through the popular Free2Play system and opted for the simple Pay and Play. We are gamers ourselves and think it’s unfair to entice players with the promise of a free game and then force them to pay on regular basis, often by requiring them to acquire various items and equipment for real money.''

Have you guys had a change of mind recently?

I'm all in for the Buy to Play system, if only you can still gain profits out of it. Frankly, it keeps the community more mature and less troublesome.

11. kristakis

kristakis misses faufau :( Golden Founder

I'm glad to hear that you're going Buy 2 Play. I find that F2P tends to let in people that are less interested in participating harmoniously.

I think a buy-in founder's pack is a great idea, have a look at how other games have done this. Here's FIrefall's program picked at random...
    [​IMG]
    Obviously you'd have different stuff, but this gives interested players the opportunity to pay more earlier to get cool stuff. I still have that poster on the wall and wear the beanie! Something like a mount with a custom skin doesn't take much to make and can be used forever without giving anyone a numerical advantage. I'd steer clear of consumables but cosmetics, titles and name reservation are safe and inexpensive to implement.

Whether you go F2P or not, please have some way that RL money can be spent that doesn't effect gameplay. I played WoW back in the day and loved it but there was no store so I couldn't give Blizzard any more than my sub each month. Firefall had a store with cool stuff and I was able to spend thousands there over the years. I liked being able to support the company while they made a game I enjoyed playing.

Enough outta me :D

12. Jenner

Jenner Rookie

I personally don't think that Free to Play is the way to go for this game. While it would be nice for us players to just get the whole game for free, it wouldn't really be good for you developers. Having a free to play game makes the communtity worse in my opinion, and i have seen this on other smaller free to play games, they would have a small dedicatet player base, and a ton of players that doesn't give a shit about the game because it's free.

I think that you should go for the Pay once to play model, but stil keep the game at a cheap price so more will feel like buying it, like max 30-40euro for the full game. Then you add a shop like in normal F2P games and only sell cosmetics and other stuff that doesn't affect gameplay.
    Items in the shop could be things like: Boosters, Cool armour and weapon skins, Special paint for exosuits and armour, extra character slot, more inventory space, and unique cosmetics that are only there for a short durition like a halloween special pumkin helmet etc etc...

13. Nikoku

Nikoku Rookie

Honestly, if they're going for the Buy to Play model, it'd be best to not introduce an real money cash shop to go along with it.

Not sure how popular this kind of system is among MMO players, but it frankly disgusts me that first you pay to buy the game itself, then you're greeted with real money store that charges you extra just to get more customization for your character.

Now then, why would you want all those items you listed to be bought with real funds, especially when the game itself is probably 30-40€ upon release, when they could introduce all of them in the game, obtainable through playing the game?

14. Jenner

Jenner Rookie

This is exactcly what the cosmetics in the store is, extras. Stuff that the developers make after the game has been released. In my opinoin i think it is fair for the developers to charge like 1€ for this heavy armour skin set. or 1€ for a special weapon skin. None of the items in the shop should have better stats than what you could can get without using the shop or any stats at all for that matter, you could do it so the stuff you buy are only skins that you can put on weapons you already have.

It also sounded like the devs for this game wanted an ingame shop anyways, how els would they earn money if they made it a Free 2 play game? (pls don't make it a Pay 2 win :( :( )

A good idea for the shop would be to make the shop currency buyable for ingame money. so that you can exchange the normal ingame money for the buyable money. this could also work as some kind of money sink for the game.

15. Halloween

Halloween Rookie

@Jenner
    Let me fix that last quote for you...

There we are. :)

16. Dukeofterror

Dukeofterror Rookie

Honestly I would prefer a sub based game. I know quite a few people that have absolutely no problem with paying a normal monthly sub like 12€ or something. Just the standard fare. F2P attracts the worst of the worst to be honest. Take a look at communities like WarThunder, World of Tanks, World of Warships. Not only do the people exceed at being absolutely ignorant to game mechanics, they also swear and belittle everyone that says something about their play style or just start to teamkill you. I'm all for being open minded and I really do enjoy banter online, but purposely going against the team or game mechanics is just shitty behaviour. B2P might be an attractive model, but would need to implement some kind of ingame shop so that the dev have a continous stream of income to finance keeping the server infrastructure and everything afloat. Don't get me wrong, there are some games that implement this rather well, but there is a huge margin for error in that one. One game that has "transformed" over time is Rift. They actually have a good approach on this kind of stuff. You can reach EVERYTHING in the game by playing it. Even the stuff you can buy with real money. You'll just have to spend more time on getting them. A good example however for a monthly sub type game would be Final Fantasy. There are a lot of people playing it because it has a lot of content, story and a somewhat good and helpful community. Granted, that is a more typical MMORPG, but I would think the basic principal would apply to this as well. If you create a proper world, good content and generally good mechanics, I see no reason why people would not pay a monthly sub. Just think back to Planetside 1. As far as I remember it was very popular back then and it was also a sub based game. Now look at Planetside 2. It is F2P and a horrible mess. Besides that it's running on a shit engine with minimal draw distance so that people can snipe you without you even seeing them, it is also horribly pay 2 win.

So in the end, if you want to go B2P, make a shop like which was suggested before, ONLY cosmetics, NOTHING that gives you an edge over other people. And for the love of god, make everything reachable without having to pay. If people want to spend that kind of time to reach their goal without paying more than the admission price, let them. This will render a favorable reputation for you as a dev, and if you keep to your plan and do what you say, will further your credibility. Do not EVER, **** over your fans or you're dead in the water.

17. Nikoku

Nikoku Rookie

Okay. Let's clear up a thing or two. They weren't planning to go Free to Play from what i gathered, rather it was meant to be Buy once, play forever kind of deal.

And we both know that if, just if they start to sell cosmetic skins for real money funds, they wont definitely stop at 1€

If the game is Buy to play, and manages to form a community of players, by selling the game alone they should be able to gather profits.

Afterwards start pumping out expansions, which they charge for. This way they can keep cosmetics earnable through work, and they wont have to rely on selling gimmicks for real money.

18. kristakis

kristakis misses faufau :( Golden Founder

^this.

Also, the forum needs a 'like' button - please consider upgrading the forum software to Xenforo, have a look here at how that looks by comparison.

Caedric likes this.
  19. Jenner

Jenner Rookie

[/quote]
    Vesta said that they where thinking about a free to play system at the start of the thread.
    And i agree, there will most likly be skins for way more than 1€, which is kinda true for most other free to play games that use this kind of shop.
    Making expansions for money is also fair, and would also be a good idea.

As long as the sub fee is not more than 12€ i would also go for this. But there is also a lot of people that will be unhappy with this payment method. Some feel that they owe the game a lot of their time because they know that they spend money on this game each month. The game would have to be really addicting to keep most of theese people staying. This is not counting the people that will not touch the game AT ALL just because it has the 'sub fee' stamp on it.

20. Dukeofterror

Dukeofterror Rookie

Obviously I have no real idea about things like these as I do not run a game company myself. The "paywall" will keep a lot of undesirable people out. Surely they should not go beyond the standard MMO fare regarding sub price. Maybe go cheaper. I don't know. On the other hand, we've seen quite a few games becoming f2p over the years or b2p. Should the sub based system not work out you can still change it. Though that might have some unfun consequences. It's probably not an easy descision but having good content and maybe some unique or at least new ideas or implementations of already existing ideas, could get a lot of people playing. So it all comes down to the content of the game. If it is lacking in that regard the game will die, be it f2p, b2p or sub based. I myself have absolutely no problem with a monthly sub based system, IF what I'm paying for is worth it. The videos and the information that has been out so far look promising, so I'll keep my eyes open for it and hope for a spot on the Beta test.