1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Economy

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Sahelanthropus, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Sahelanthropus

Sahelanthropus Space engineer Founder

One of the most important things in a mmorpg is its economy, if it's unbalanced then a lot of players will most likely leave. How do you guys picture the economy? Let's already start discussing ideas and possibilities.

Mortis likes this.
  2. Bartez

Bartez Moderator Staff Member

I think it's too early to discuss ingame economy because there's not many content in game.

3. Whorlok

Whorlok Rookie Golden Founder

we must wait for the new big patch...open world and so on! Then we can give Input over this new Features

4. Shadex

Shadex Rookie Founder

It is still a very valid question, especially for those who may be sitting on the fence regarding purchasing packs. While we as forum posters and testers may not be privy to the answer it would be a good idea if our wonderful new Community Manager could give some indication. Projects of this scope do not get off the ground without a solid design doc already in place that details every aspect of the game's overall concept. I would be extremely surprised if they did not already know exactly how the economy was going to flesh out.

Mortis and Pighead Elderberry like this.
  5. NewbieGummi

NewbieGummi Firestarter Founder

You can't even trade in-game now, there is no crafting, there is practically nothing shaped out for economy. All of it will get changed 100 times before the release, and you are expecting devs to know how the economy will be? Economy comes itself, and gets balanced on spot, because you can't predict it before the release of major patches concerning it.

6. Shadex

Shadex Rookie Founder

True but don't you think CCP had a very good handle on how their economy was going to work long before the first player set foot in EvE? I do not believe we need to know every little detail, however, as many players do like to focus on the economic aspects of an MMO, dedicated crafters and merchants for example, knowing more about how it is going to work would be a good idea if they wish to secure more backing.

Will the majority of items come from crafters or from MOB drops? Will their be item decay? How complicated will the crafting system be and will it be interactive or simply a progress bar? Will crafting resources be gathered or purchased from NPCs? Will a player be able to play their entire time in the game as a merchant or crafter or will they be forced to engage in combat? Etc.

We had a member of our community during EvE that played for 4 years and never left the station he had been created in yet had more money than anyone in our corporation. Working the market was his forte and he loved it. Star Wars Galaxies players loved the player driven element as players gained reputation for their items and stores. DAoC was very similar as even the highest end game gear was fashioned by a player... well, before Mythic bailed and went the way of WoW.

I am not personally a heavy economy player but it does go a great deal toward fleshing out the universe of an MMO and I think that any information they provide would go to great lengths to entice new money. Unless this title is going the way of Planetside 2 and is simply a surface level MMOFPS. Which is fine of course, would just not be my cup of tea.

Mortis and Pighead Elderberry like this.
  7. NewbieGummi

NewbieGummi Firestarter Founder

Woah, slow down. First, EvE is an economy-based game. The game is literally based on it, so your comparison of games is invalid.
    Secondly, searching a little bit on forum and beyond would answer most of those questions, because I did see the answer to those many times.

Can you give a real example of an unbalanced economy?

8. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

Those questions are interesting and good ones.

I certainly agree it is early, but I can't see it hurts if players discuss it already as long as they realize that nothing is set in stone. The future is not known in detail, because nothing is created yet in detail.

For that very reason, I think it is good if we can give feedback early in this process in a structured way as it may help in the development process for the devs to have that information before the systems start to be developed in detail.

For example, I for one much prefer that resources all come from game play and not a purchase from and NPC somewhere.

Are there things the Devs are wondering about, "Do A, Do B, Do C?" before they implement them even in Alpha?

If they can ask and get input at that early level, it might help save them time in development.

That's my 2 cents.
    --- Jan 1, 2016 ---
    For example:

I watched one of the Dev videos showing back in March the test server and the Devs talking about the game in some detail (plans for the future).

They mentioned they would have an auction (relates to economy).

They mentioned that drops in loot would make sense (Raiders drop Raider armor, not deer). They said thay had plans (they had the 3D model in game) of a creature the Aliens run around the planet gathering all sorts of resources (including items) that then the creatures drop as loot. They mentioned that there would be special alien hubs (I forget the name) that could be killed for minor loot or activated for what seemed like epic battles with epic loot.

All that seems to say that the Devs are leaning towards players getting resources from the playing of the game and not from buying it.

All of that seems good to me.

That's the kind of thing that would be nice to have collated and in one place, so we can look forward to and and throw in our support or reasons for disliking aspects of the economy (and hence loot and crafting).

I would like also to early on throw my support in for the SHEER VARIETY of items that they are proposing to let us make by what appears to be allowing min maxing and stat differences among instances of the same (by name) item type. That is good and makes the economy that revolves around items more robust.

Variety makes things interesting and fun.

Mortis likes this.
  9. Shadex

Shadex Rookie Founder

"Enhance your calm John Spartan." :) I would venture that most would agree EvE is a combat centric game built upon a strong player economy and a successful one at that 12 years now. Also, remember that much like the developers themselves who are responsible for making a good initial impression regarding their game, the community itself can often carry as much if not more weight of that impression and the effect it has on the influx of new members. League of Legends is an amazing game but how many does one imagine don't play it because the community is overly caustic? My questions were only examples and while you are correct and some were touched on to various degrees in the About section, a great deal more could be discussed at least and in the end I believe that was the intention of the original poster was it not? Simply an open discourse about how the economy will work or how we would like to see it work.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  10. Pighead Elderberry

Here is a really good video from the Developers with English narration describing their plans (back in start of 2015).

It answered a lot of my questions and some of the ones raised here.

I must say I pretty much think every single thing they plan on doing is well thought out and sounds good to me.

They describe a very well thought out overall plan for design of the game from the top down. They also even back in March in that video are showing some of the creatures/vehicles made as models and already in the test game environment.

If anyone finds more like this Dev video in English for us non Russian speakers, please share it.

Mortis likes this.
  11. Pighead Elderberry

I found two other English narrated videos from the Devs in which they discuss the game plans for the future.

All the other ones are 'promo-style' PR type videos which do not go into the details at all and have no narration.

These go into more details on the weapons and armor system, combat, damage types, and a lot more.

and

Everything else I find is really just a fan playing the Alpha (now outdated completely with the new patch from the end of December). None of those have any info from the Devs or knowledge of long term plans.

12. Deacon

Deacon Rookie

it's not about what can be done now .... it's about what the devs envison for it in future

Mortis likes this.
  13. Shadex

Shadex Rookie Founder

So what do they envision?

14. Deacon

Deacon Rookie

only they can tell us

15. Shadex

Shadex Rookie Founder

Hence the thread. :D

Mortis likes this.