1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Games in the Game

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Vesta, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Vesta

Vesta 3D modeller Staff Member

I liked one of the ideas from RU part of the forums -- Games in the game.
    I decided to discuss it with you, friends! Sometimes ideas can be very interesting and it means there is a chance to get them into the game.

Let`s gather suggestions, what games would you like to see in the game.
    For example:
    1. Make a roulette club and play there with the game money.
    2. Make racing.
    3. Make Hunting: kind of mob tracking.
    It can be a "trophy hunting" after which the body will be given to a taxidermist and posted in the cabin. =)
    The basic idea - to occupy ourselves when nothing to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2016
    ObsoleteVodka likes this.
  2. CookieDuster

CookieDuster Community Coordinator (English) Staff Member

Having a multitude of activities that are either similarly rewarding or tie into something bigger (like collecting multiple ingredients for a piece of equipment) gives options to break up monotony, which is definitely an advantage.

The key part would be making these activities beneficial enough for players to actually do it, and have the activities balanced with each other, otherwise players will just ignore all but the most rewarding.

MolliMayhem likes this.
  3. MolliMayhem

MolliMayhem Wanderer Bronze Founder

More to do is ALWAYS better. Sometimes people just enjoy being in the game world and running around exploring, and it's always more fun if you stumble on new things to do. The hunting idea is good, gathering resources for crafting something, even things like fishing, also having a club where you go to hang out with friends to drink and dance and maybe find new "quests" to do for different factions.

I'm less interested in rewards than in just having interesting "side things" to occupy time being in the world.

pector, Pighead Elderberry and Vesta like this.
  4. Boremac

Boremac Inquisitive Bronze Founder

What a lot of the works in progress lately seem to be discovering, finally, is that options are great. Supporting the community by giving them reasons to interact... crafting, markets, shared spaces, ect. makes all the difference. No game has been made in my opinion that can just throw new content at us and hope it is enough. A smart system that makes us want to get to know our fellow players is essential. Project Genome is definitely on the right track and I am excited to see what comes in the future.

And definitely all about the gambling aspects: race betting, roulette, shoot the bandit in the head betting, you name it and I will bet on it! :p

Vesta likes this.
  5. kristakis

kristakis misses faufau :( Golden Founder

I concur - a variety of gameplay options promotes longevity. Personally I find games that have more unique things to do are more engaging because I can change my activity to suit my mood and time window. Take WoW for example - if I only have a couple of minutes then I can send some followers on a mission. If I have an hour I can do some pet battles. If I have a few hours I can do a raid. Those are radically different activities with unrelated mechanics and getting bored with one doesn't stop me enjoying the others.

It's great when you get rewards from one activity that assists the others but I think you should never reach a point were you feel compelled to do an activity you don't enjoy because you need an output from that activity.

Additionally the other gameplay options can add the feeling of depth to a game. Each unique and distinct mechanical system you can add to a game gives certain players more to learn and so more to enjoy. Again with WoW, there will be people that delve into the pet battles system and get a real sense of joy from the metagame. Those same people may have little to no interest in raiding or PvP but their presence in the world fleshes it out. The more diverse your population the more engaging it is for new players as they can find other like-minded people.

That's all my opinion anyway :D

MolliMayhem, Boremac and Vesta like this.
  6. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

Hunting seems to me the best of the three Hunting can have a huge variety of targets, a big variety of weapons to use. Hunting can take us all over the map high and low. As others have suggested, hunting can give us trophies...

PGenom is not a hunting sym, but it sure seems a good match to any shooter where we are out in the Open World.

It can take us to special locations where only certain rare creatures live, it can lead us to track prey and follow trails and clues...

We can be walking and stumble across a trail and then follow it as a kind of spontaneous side quest.

I agree with variety and options and I like this as one of them!

MolliMayhem and Boremac like this.
  7. pector

pector [Galaktikon] Golden Founder

I like the idea of games in the game. Like Molli said: the more there is to do, the better it is.

I like:

1. Roulette with in game currency
    2. Hunting/Tracking

I strongly recommend NOT having items as rewards. Particularly when it includes items for gear or gear itself.

If you have resources spread throughout the open world (like herbs, minerals, etc.) and have these games take place in the open world, that would be cool. But making gear or mats for gear a reward for these mini games would a huge turn off and defy the purpose of having games within the actual game. Additionally, having different systems separate from one another (i.e. mats for crafting, quest objectives, mini-games) but all located in the open world would be less heavy for development (based on my experience) and give the player the freedom to interact with what ever s/he finds when playing in the open world.

Cheers

pec

MolliMayhem likes this.
  8. CookieDuster

CookieDuster Community Coordinator (English) Staff Member

The sad reality is that people are greedy, so anything less than the best ingame activities in terms of rewards will generally be neglected unless they tie into something or are incredibly fun (which usually takes a lot of creativity and development effort), proven time after time in various MMOs.

I figured if one takes the effort to make a system, might as well provide a proper incentive to make sure it actually gets used.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Slab Hardcheese likes this.
  9. pector

pector [Galaktikon] Golden Founder

Giving you the benefit of doubt:

Give me 5 examples since 2008 where what you say worked out and either facilitated or increased a player base..

1. We're talking about something like daily quests (repeatable)
    2. You should have something like steamdb.info or atleast articles praising systems like that to prove your point
    3. You should be able to justify why that repetitive system would attract players more than for example crafting, raiding (boss drops), random world drops, server-wide events, etc.

The only circumstance under which daily quests have worked quite successfully so far was in World of Warcraft, and there only up to Burning Crusade, because of an intricate reputation system that rewarded players with otherwise unobtainable items such as crafting (big surprise: it will have to tie in with other systems to be attractive, which brings me back to my point of being development heavy) recipes or access to certain raids (later on this was extended to useless gimmicks which indicated the imminent failure of daily tasks/quests)

Keep in mind that Neuron Haze = 10 people, so you should keep your suggestions realistic, if you want to give this game a personal touch.

Don't be offended. I'm not saying your idea is bad. It may just be out of proportion and suitable at a later point in time. Keep things real for now.

Cheers

pec

10. ObsoleteVodka

ObsoleteVodka Inquisitive

"Yo dawg, I've heard you like games. So we've put games inside the game" :D

Totally agree, the more the better! :)

PvP could be considered a "game in the game" too.

Oh, and since I'm playing Mechwarrior Online a lot lately, how about mech battles? *wink, wink*

kristakis and MolliMayhem like this.
  11. Boremac

Boremac Inquisitive Bronze Founder

I thought that mechs were pretty much on the roadmap already... or is that just giant killer enemy robots? Either way this would make me happy. Also being able to collect and display the heads of my kills would also make me happy! :p

Vesta likes this.
  12. Bacterial

Bacterial PG Community Overlord (outdated) Staff Member

fixed.

ObsoleteVodka and Vesta like this.
  13. ObsoleteVodka

ObsoleteVodka Inquisitive

Yes, but i meant PvP mech matches. That's why I'm referring to MWO. :)

14. Criterion

Criterion Tester of things Bronze Founder

I'm pretty sure they're planned for the future. If you press c in game and look at your armor skills there are the 3 classes of armor, and 3 classes of... I think they're called battlesuits or something, with the same 3 class types. That is the exoskeleton things and attachments that are on display in that showroom near the memorial statue. Or at least that's what I get from that.

I think it's a fun idea, ala MWO, but on a much smaller scale. Could be set up like training missions, and done in a "simulator" such that no expensive hardware or lives are ever in danger. Usage of the training simulator in a recreational way as a morale booster, complete with rankings and such. You might be able to tell I like the story to fit the world around it. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  15. Live2Explore

Live2Explore Rookie Founder

Love the idea OP. Reminds me of Final Fantasy 7 with the arcade games (snowboarding) inside of the game.

Add racing for sure.
    Add Poker.
    **** add any activity that can have 1-? players.

But please, please add a betting system. Let me bet 1,000 credits that I can whoop my friend on an atv.
    Please let bet all my money on a single poker game with my friend (and whoever else). I spent hours upon hours playing poker in Pirates of the Caribbean online back in the day hahahah.

Edit: let us bet weapons and gear also. Anything tradeable, let us bet it. I love it.

16. lightpyro

lightpyro Wanderer Golden Founder

hey the system is good... but mybe you have some problem to understand it.. becouse is New for you.. i have play this since last year first testing.. so send me PM then i can try to help you to understand.. i will soon make a Video how Things Works.. so all of you beginners can understand it

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  17. Live2Explore

Live2Explore Rookie Founder

Sorry? I understand what the OP wants. I also understand what Project genom is.

Not a beginner. Just joined the forums today. I have tested the game and understand its entirety.

18. Bitle

Bitle Rookie

i agree that many of those systems, and others sound amazing and i want to see them.

I also agree that this is definently something for later after the basics are stable and the main attractions are more fully fleshed out.

19. AhKeelU

AhKeelU Rookie

Mini-games can make a good RPG better. I don't know enough about the plot to make a good suggestion yet, but I will be sure to come back later with suggestions once i know more about the plot and lore of the game.

20. Kirineki

Kirineki Rookie Bronze Founder

I say strip poker.

Fairdwin and Choptimist like this.