1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Hmmm kind of curious - how to go about beginning to learn or trying to learn Russian?

Discussion in 'Extras' started by GlitchyGirl, Dec 15, 2015.

1. GlitchyGirl

GlitchyGirl Inquisitive Golden Founder

As the thread indicates, I'm interest in the prospect of trying to learn Russian/Cyrillic the reason being that if you haven't noticed I quite enjoy being able to talk to others, and tend to spend a lot of time on the forums (I keep the forums pulled up at work xD). So the idea that there is a larger part of community to speak with sounds like a very appealing one. The downside though is that the majority solely speak Russian, and sadly I don't xD

So barring initial attempts at communicating (I tried using google translate to try communicating, needless to say I ended up somewhat embarrased, and apparently confusing the people I talked to.... so my apologies! ), I've decided it'd be a fun thing to try and learn a new language. As it is I already speak english, and spanish so why not! That being said, I'm wondering ... might anyone know of some decent resources to begin learning cyrillic with? I did try the google search, but of course doing so yielded a whole bunch of courses, and junk being sold with the promise of "helping you learn!", but yeah... advertising >.<

That being said, may anyone familiar with the Russian/Cyrillic be able to point me in a good direction to get started? Quite honestly even a basic childrens, "learn to read" program equivalent of hooked on phonics would be awesome!

Thanks!

Vesta and Bartez like this.
  2. Sahelanthropus

Sahelanthropus Space engineer Founder

You'll need to find a guidebook, a real one, buy it and learn through it. (I myself would just torrent one.)

GlitchyGirl likes this.
  3. GlitchyGirl

Will look into doing that, torrenting one xD Any recommendations? Or should I just poke around until I find one? haha

4. Bartez

Bartez Moderator Staff Member

Very glad to read this:D

GlitchyGirl likes this.
  5. Vesta

Vesta 3D modeller Staff Member

If you need russian writing practice or speacking or listening, please you are welcome by skype with me )) but i will be a strict teacher :sneaky:;):D

GlitchyGirl likes this.
  6. GlitchyGirl

That will be perfectly fine haha :) Once I get to the point where I do feel , I can start speaking it without insulting people, I'll take you up on that, and strict is good! Will be awesome to learn xD - Though in the beginning you may just hear a lot of "что это"? As I actually learn and memorize what things are xD

The easy part will be the mimicry, I just have to hope that I don't have too hard a time remembering it all and that part may take a while xD

Vesta likes this.
  7. GlitchyGirl

A bit of an update hehe, In addition to printing out the cyrillic alphabet, since I've been kind of busy and mostly running around. I've been mucking about with duolinguo.... a nice, free service (that I've seen so far) that really does tend to focus on the phonetic grammar. I've only had time to muck with the first lesson or two but I love the fact that it has you translating the phonetic of the word from the english to the cyrillic pronunciation and back! It is my hope at this point then as I learn this better that I can start learning the letter myself. (again a more organic fashion of learning) so that I will with time even be able to partake in the other aspect of this game's community as well :)

SomeUnregPunk likes this.