1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

How Can I Help Project Genom? (for volunteers)

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Vesta, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Vesta

Vesta 3D modeller Staff Member

We get a lot of questions and offers like " What can I do for Project Genom? How can I help you?
    I can be a moderator, I can translate the texts, I can write quests. I want and I can help..." and so on.
    People write us from different social networks.
    In order to somehow organize everyone to take part in the project, a big request to write about it in this thread.

Please describe your wish and sphere where you can be useful for Project Genom here.

Genobee likes this.
  2. ObsoleteVodka

ObsoleteVodka Inquisitive

Hi, i don't know Russian. But if someday you guys need English <-> Spanish translation please count me in! :)

Vesta likes this.
  3. NewbieGummi

NewbieGummi Firestarter Founder

I'm ready for community management/forum moderation/GMing and/or French/Russian/English translations, so count me in.

Vesta likes this.
  4. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

I do not know Russian either, and have to use Google translate to read the Russian postings, but I would be happy to help out any way I can in forums or in game chat and the like.

I think one thing that would help the English speakers is to have an English speaker/writer in touch with the developers to keep a list of what features are new, what are not yet implemented, and what features are most important to test in the current build (whatever the current build may be).

When I can I have been trying to answer questions in forums, but I do not know the answers to everything.

If Genom developers have in mind a closer communication to certain 'moderators' or 'mentors' or whatever one may call them of the timeline of new features and what features are to be tested in game, I would be happy to fill this roll.

It would be nice to have a better communication path to English speakers/writers of the current state of the game and current focus of testing in the each build.
    --- Jan 27, 2016 ---
    p.s. I can also help write, but without knowing Russian that is harder to accomplish well.

Vesta likes this.
  5. Ced23Ric

Ced23Ric Firefallen Golden Founder

Hey,

I've been a volunteer moderator for the American Paintball community of TechPB.com for 3 years (2007-2010), head community moderator for Warframe for almost a year, head translator English to German for Warframe for 1.5 years, ran the User Generated Content Compendium for Firefall for 1.5 years, am a modder for Space Engineers with over 70,000 individual subscriptions and run my own servers for that game, minor skin modding for Company of Heros 2, wrote extensive guides for various games, wrote secondary source stories for various products, and have generally played a lot of games since I got my 286 with 33MHz. ;)

I speak German and English fluently, my French is rusty but conversational. No knowledge in Russian past a few snippets, tovarish - and even that only transscribed. I can unfangle google translated elements, though.

I used to work as a freelance GFX artist for minor things, such as business cards, brochures and simple website designs, am fairly proficient with HTML, CSS, Photoshop, and I also have an utterly basic and simple understanding of modeling and texturing.

TL;DR:
    I can
    • moderate forums
    • translate into German
    • do graphics
    • write stories.
    Hope this helps. If I can be of use, let me know.

Chanticrow, Bacterial and Vesta like this.
  6. bcloaded

bcloaded Inquisitive

I've worked with several indie developer teams, ranging from Graphic Design to Moderation and Support. I was a Community Manager for a 3D social MMO called "3DChat" for about a year, while the community was fairly small (consisting of about 40 active users daily), it was still a good learning experience. I also did some UI work for "The Repopulation" as well as Moderate the forums and provide Support in-game to Alpha Testers. Right now I am currently working with Mythin Interactive as their Lead Game Master for the game "LinkRealms", which is coming to Steam Early Access in March.

If given the opportunity, I would be most interested in any kind of Support or Moderation position, as that is what I have most experience with. I have had my own community sites in the past, some quite large so I am aware of how to Moderate a forum. I am very interested in the future of Project Genom, and seeing how I enjoy helping players more than anything, I feel I would do well with this position.

On a side note, I am not looking to replace the indie team I am currently working with, I would just like to split my time 50-50 and help with both if possible. I spend about 8-10 hours a day at my PC so I will still have plenty of time to dedicate here.

You already have my contact information.

Cheers,
    bcloaded

Vesta likes this.
  7. Genobee

Genobee Inquisitive Silver Founder

Given an opportunity I would be very happy to volunteer in some capacity. Over the years I've had experience with QA testing from both a volunteer perspective and from a more traditional approach. Within that I assisted in helping maintain a volunteer QA group for a period of time. This ran the full gambit from ensuring things were bug free (sometimes doing that all by my lonesome crazily enough) all the way to sometimes even having the chance to influence development choices mildly.

Aside from this I have been a moderator for videogame forums in the past. This has included an official game forum. For me it was a chance to both keep the community in a healthy state whilst also using feedback I'd observe to help make suggestions to the developers that could be beneficial to both parties. I felt that middle-ground is an incredibly important thing that can be tough to nail down. Which is why I was especially keen on analyzing both sides in search of an ideal resolution.

Not sure what else to add. I try to aim for being a jack-of-all-trades. No matter the role I would want to help fill in any gaps in other areas when necessary. I'm the type that enjoys going out of his way to make sure things stay on track, or become something even better.

My apologies if this comes across as overly vague. I didn't want to wind up with you needing to read through an unending sea of words simply for me to say "Hey! I'm interested! I like doing this for fun and I have experience!".

Vesta likes this.
  8. insp

insp Searching for meaning Golden Founder

I can help with Polish translation (y)

Lenartowy and Vesta like this.
  9. Fryepod

Fryepod [IIIIII] Founder

I could do community moderating with the simple technology of Google translate. I can also link my community organizing, guiding talents from the firefall forums.

As well, i'd wish to study the games mechanics in depth and be a volunteer moderator/mentor within the early game itself.

I work at home so I am available around the clock :)

ObsoleteVodka and Vesta like this.
  10. SnoozinRedPanda

SnoozinRedPanda Inquisitive

I would be interested in the community side of things such as forum moderation,in game events,mentoring, forum events and being able to interact with the community. I also enjoy taking pictures from in game and creating the odd video here and there.

Thanks to the opportunities that have come from Firefall, it's given me a passion for helping, becoming more involved in gaming communities and being able to create fun for those that wish to take part as well as a chance for the community to come together.

If the opportunity were to arise I would very much be interested in helping. I know I have only been here for a short time and have a lot to learn. I figured I'd put my name foreword for future reference. :)

P.S. I can share links from events that I have organized and to my screenshots/videos if need be.

Vesta likes this.
  11. Arcaine

Arcaine C# / C++ developer Founder

I can offer a part time english <-> german translation, if needed in near future

Genobee and Vesta like this.
  12. Fryepod

Fryepod [IIIIII] Founder

I'd like to vouch on Snoozin'RedPandas part there. Especially with community organizing, I think between Panda (Orka) and I we ran the largest and most well received community events.

Chanticrow and Vesta like this.
  13. Shadex

Shadex Rookie Founder

I have done voice over work for MMOs in the past. I would be interested in assisting with voices for the English adaptions.

Vesta likes this.
  14. pector

pector [Galaktikon] Golden Founder

You ever need some coding done then hit me up. Currently have a bit of time on my hands.

C++ in particular.

Cheers

pec

Genobee and Vesta like this.
  15. OctoberNight

OctoberNight Cookies Golden Founder

I would be willing to help moderate the English forums. Granted I don't post a lot but I do tend to read a lot and would be able to help insure the forums are safe and fun place to have healthy discussions of project Genom.

16. VanValdenburg

VanValdenburg Rookie Founder

Will make some youtube videos. Right now i don't think it is a good idea to present the current game status in moving pictures. There is just too much to wish for that is not just placeholders but completely unfinished, i think the DEVs agree on this.
    My point of view will always be realistic and true without too much fanboy attitude. To show the real picture. Ofc i am pro PG in the first place but i will raise my voice if i dislike things in particular. For example vigor roads *cough* :D

17. Sici

Sici Rookie Golden Founder

I can help with Italian translation:D

Vesta likes this.
  18. Ecumene

Ecumene Rookie

I've got experience in QA and forum moderation, so if you need anyone in those two areas I'd be more than happy to help!

A little bit more about my experience; in terms of QA, I was in direct contact with the developers of the game on Skype and they'd toss me builds to test. Some bugs I found were things like map holes, no collision on certain objects, etc... Moderation is something I've done for much longer and am arguably better at. If you need an in-game GM or a forum mod (thinking the former since many are here for the latter), I may be the person you need.

Vesta and Bacterial like this.
  19. grisidlis

grisidlis Captain Golden Founder

Best way for people who lack in skills to translate or fix broken code, You can just test what's current and report bugs or miss spell words in any language you are fluent in. Like the Loading screen with the on showing a rifle has a word misspelled in English "battale," which should be Battle.

MolliMayhem and Vesta like this.
  20. Bacterial

Bacterial PG Community Overlord (outdated) Staff Member

«battale» sounds like some vintage changed version of the English )) you know, few hundreds years long travel through deep space and stuff )