information on eventual server locations

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by f0d, Jan 1, 2016.

1. f0d

f0d Rookie Founder

hi all
    i only just found out about this game and it looks fantastic but im wondering if there will be west coast american servers when the game gets released?

the reason i ask is because im australian and playing games on a server that isnt west coast america or australia is pretty much impossible because of massive pings

i want to buy a founders pack but if this game isnt going to eventually have west coast usa servers i can play the game on then there isnt much of a point me buying into it

2. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

There are a couple Aussies in game - and they can answer better than I can about how the game plays now for them - but I am on West Coast USA and have not seen problems with lag at all so maybe it would not be so bad for you. I am not very close to the servers myself.

I believe servers are in Moscow? Correct?

I think the least expensive founders pack is at the moment $17.99 (US). I consider mine a donation to the team which deserves it for the work they are doing, so if you think of it that way the go ahead and do what you can afford as a vote of confidence (hoping for a low ping server in the future if not today).

You can look at something like:

https://wondernetwork.com/pings

[You can type in your own cities in Search]

This shows that Adelaide or Sydney is worse than Western US, but Western US is not good at all. So, the fact that it is OK for me might mean it should be OK for you if not ideal.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    f0d likes this.
  3. f0d

f0d Rookie Founder

thanks for the reply

i have a friend that already plays and he says the ping is pretty bad from australia atm because of the location of the server which i am fine with as long as there will be west coast USA servers eventually

even central/east coast america has bad pings from australia and because of the massive distance between us and just about every other country in the world anywhere but west coast usa or australia servers are painful to play on (but being realistic i know there wont be aussie servers)

i love open world mmo shooters and i currently play both planetside and firefall and i am really hopeful this game has servers i can actually play on.!

4. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

I am and have been now for years a Firefall player and used to play a lot with a couple people from Australia a few years back. We used to go thumping every night (night and early AM for me in US) - until they nixed thumping. I see tons of Australian riders in Zwift in the wee hours of US PST.

I got lucky with Firefall because they are practically in my backyard when it comes to my ping and their US servers!

5. f0d

f0d Rookie Founder

i already know (from playing loads of games with servers overseas) that anywhere but west coast usa or australia is just about impossible to play on
    our main internet line from australia to usa connects right up to west coast usa

[​IMG]

firefall is awesome but the current outlook is not good with all the people getting fired and other goings on there :(
    since since there isnt many mmofps games (i think only planetside and firefall are left, other mmofps games like global agenda are now dead) im EXTREMELY keen to slap down some money on project genom
    but i cant justify spending any money unless there will be west coast usa servers eventually.........

6. NewbieGummi

NewbieGummi Firestarter Founder

Why don't you just use GPN? It should be very helpful for Australian players and I'm actually surprised that you don't know about them. Google up WTFast, I used it myself and it helped me, it might help you too.

7. f0d

f0d Rookie Founder

it doesnt help

i guess ill just keep checking the website/forums for any announcements of future server locations

8. Xonbie

Xonbie Rookie Golden Founder

Servers based out of japan aren't to bad for latency either, but the issue faced there is english speaking community.

I think it would be nice to see where the servers may land in the future.

f0d likes this.
  9. Vesta

Vesta 3D modeller Staff Member

No, servers are at the Europe now -- Netherlands

10. f0d

f0d Rookie Founder

that explains why when i shoot the target gets hit about 2 seconds later, its very hard to predict where a target will be in 2 seconds time :)

any news on where servers will be when project genom is finished?

11. Vesta

We need to test servers before final decision about their placement. Now I cant` answer your questions -- where servers will be. I am sorry.

12. GrumpStump

GrumpStump Rookie Golden Founder

Any idea if there will be servers in the USA, for sure? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a founder's pack and want to make sure before.
    Thanks

GrumpStump

f0d likes this.
  13. Vesta

I am sorry, but nobody can say now where the servers will be in final. We will need a lot of testing to choose the final place (places) for them.
    I am sorry.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  14. GrumpStump

GrumpStump Rookie Golden Founder

You really don't know if you'll have USA servers? Really. Seems like an awful big market not to have servers in.

GrumpStump

f0d likes this.
  15. NewbieGummi

NewbieGummi Firestarter Founder

West Europe server is the most adequate choice for a world-wide server. Everyone will be ranged from 0 to 150 ping (with an adequate internet connection of course). Plus it's possible to use WTFast to reduce the ping for those who live too far from the server. It will be around 10-50 reduction. And I do not see a problem to play an MMO with 100 ping. The only place where it might cause some problems is Australia, but most Aussies are already used to it and/or use proxy to play online games. Oh yeah, if it is possible, I would love the idea of a single server game. It's way better to have a 24/7 living server than 5 1/3 full.

16. f0d

f0d Rookie Founder

nope
    not used to it

proxy's dont help at all, they do nothing to improve ping on fps (or tps) games

any shooter type game that has more than 200ish ms of ping is unplayable, aussies dont play shooter games that are hosted in europe because the latency is unplayable
    heck with where the server is now in pgenom the bullets come out of your gun almost a whole second later if you play from australia and its freakin hard to hit anything moving because of it

imo the best place for a server is west coast usa then EVERYONE will have a decent ping, asians are on my side of the world and they are a BIG market, europe can connect to USA servers with a decent ping and of course americans also will have good access

or you know we can have multiple servers like a lot of mmofps games do
    planetside 2 has multiple servers and even an australian server
    firefall has multiple servers
    why cant pgenom have a few servers?

even though they already have my money i wont be able to play (nor will anyone on my side of the world) if they have one server and have it located anywhere in europe

GrumpStump likes this.
  17. ObsoleteVodka

ObsoleteVodka Inquisitive

I agree there should be an US server. I play from South America, so any latency difference between East and West coasts is unnoticeable for me. But when i play a game on EU servers the lag gets pretty bad. :S

f0d and GrumpStump like this.