• Technical support is temporarily provided through the Discord

initial first impressions (eu, english)

Hi all.

I thought I'd put down my very first impressions of this game so far and some suggestions on what the opening section of the game needs. Just for context I have so far played 1.5 hours and reached level 5. Now of course I understand that the game is still in early development and a lot of the things I am suggesting might well be planned and implemented in the near future. Still, it's better to say them anyway to keep the ideas fresh in the developer's mind. So without further ado, here are some of my thoughts on the initial game experience:

1. Give us some backstory. You are dropped into an unknown area at the very start with no clue of what is going on, who you are, where you are, or what you are supposed to do. Is this intentional with the idea that you have to find out those answers along the way, or is that kind of backstory something they plan on putting in later? In my experience, mmorpg players like to have some form of reference to their character at the very beginning.

2. Change the tutorial delivery system. The hint boxes that pop up at the very beginning are a complete nightmare, requiring you to have your character facing a particular way in order to read them and blocking your view of the area. I'm glad you have the option to turn these off but as I new player I found them more of a hindrance than a help, which means they haven't done their job properly. If a tutorial does nothing more than frustrate the player, it's not worth having in the game at all.

3. Remove the voice acting. I'm sorry to say that the voice acting is so low quality and confusing that it does nothing to enhance the game at all, and only serves to ruin the immersion of the game. I'm not sure why it's in there to begin with and quite frankly think it should be deleted from the game. Or if not, at the very least give us an option to disable the voice acting so we can just read the text instead. It doesn't help that in the English version your character is voice acted in English, but then when you walk around the Harbringer, all the NPCs are voice acted in Russian.

4. Decide whether your character is going to speak in third or first person. When interacting with various objects around the game world, sometimes your character speaks in third person, and sometimes in first person. Again this is an immersion breaker. Decide how you want your character to speak and stick to it please.

5. Translate the keybindings menu. In the English version all the menus are in English, except the keybindings, which are all in Russian. This makes rebinding any of the keys very hard and should be fixed if you plan on marketing the game to non-Russian speakers.

6. Improve the pacing in the early game. Early on your only weapon is a pistol, and when you are asked to look for "diggers" in the loading bay, you come across groups of 10 mobs all clumped together, which all aggro onto you the moment you shoot 1 of them. No matter how good at kiting you are, you will die to this many mobs. This to me is punishing rather than challenging because you will die no matter what. Is this intentional? Is the progression meant to emulate a dark souls game where you go into an area, kill a few mobs, die and then slowly progress forwards bit by bit? Or is this simply a matter of poor pacing in the early game? Either way I think this needs looking into, as this will be a big turn off for a lot of players.

7. Automatically reload the gun when the magazine is empty. This is a minor nitpick but I see no reason why you should have to push an extra button to reload your weapon when the magazine is empty. It's one of those things that seems like an extra thing to do to artificially increase the game difficulty for no reason. Either that, or it's an oversight on the coding.

8. Make the Harbringer map multi-tiered. There are many levels to the Harbringer, and it can be very confusing trying to navigate. Is this intentional? Because I spent most of my first hour of the game running around the place trying vainly to follow the map and not ending up where I needed to go. Making the map multi-tiered so you knew what level you were on and what level everything else was on would help streamline the initial leveling process rather than have new players wonder around aimlessly looking for where they needed to go. Again this can put off a lot of new players.

Aside from all of this, I've so far encountered 3 bugs:

1. Getting stuck on terrain. This happened a couple of times when I ventured outside the Harbringer for the first time, and I got stuck on the edges of the road a few times.

2. Mouse curser disappearing. When speaking to NPCs, if you open up the inventory with the keyboard command and then close the inventory using the mouse (by clicking the [x] button in the top right hand corner) the mouse curser disappears, meaning you cannot click the responses to end the conversation. Opening and closing the inventory with the keyboard command fixes this.

3. Occasionally movement keys stop working. Again sometimes when speaking to an NPC, when you close the conversation window, your movement keys stop working. Opening the inventory or options menu fixes this.

Bacterial

PG Community Overlord
Staff member
Hello there o/ Thank you for your feedback. Consider revisit it after next patch (hopefully it'll be released before the end of Q2).

Hello there o/ Thank you for your feedback. Consider revisit it after next patch (hopefully it'll be released before the end of Q2).
I will carry on playing a bit longer to see what's going on, but in the meantime I have a few questions:

1. Who is the target demographic? In other words, who are you marketing this game to? Who do you expect to play the game? Are you catering to a more niche demographic or are you trying to appeal to a wider audience?

2. Why should people play this game over other mmorpgs? I've looked at the information on the main website and all I see is a generic open world, classless, action mmorpg. Those are a dime a dozen right now, so what separates your game from everyone elses? Is it a unique mechanic that I haven't come across yet? Or do you just plan on doing the basics better than everyone else? Even the storyline so far is basically the same as 90% of all sci-fi games: "Humanity has found a new planet to colonise and in doing so gets attacked by aliens also looking to colonise the planet." We've seen this a million times before, so what sets your game apart from the rest?

3. Is this game primarily going to be PvE or PvP focused? The available information implies that it will be PvE focused since the main antagonists are the aliens, but it would be nice for confirmation. One of the first things a lot of new players look at in deciding a game is if the focus is more on PvP or PvE, as they generally favour one over the other.

Knowing the answers to these questions will help me better test the game for you.

DeadSkullzJr

Phazon Clan Leader
Gold Founder
Hi all.

I thought I'd put down my very first impressions of this game so far and some suggestions on what the opening section of the game needs. Just for context I have so far played 1.5 hours and reached level 5. Now of course I understand that the game is still in early development and a lot of the things I am suggesting might well be planned and implemented in the near future. Still, it's better to say them anyway to keep the ideas fresh in the developer's mind. So without further ado, here are some of my thoughts on the initial game experience:

1. Give us some backstory. You are dropped into an unknown area at the very start with no clue of what is going on, who you are, where you are, or what you are supposed to do. Is this intentional with the idea that you have to find out those answers along the way, or is that kind of backstory something they plan on putting in later? In my experience, mmorpg players like to have some form of reference to their character at the very beginning.

2. Change the tutorial delivery system. The hint boxes that pop up at the very beginning are a complete nightmare, requiring you to have your character facing a particular way in order to read them and blocking your view of the area. I'm glad you have the option to turn these off but as I new player I found them more of a hindrance than a help, which means they haven't done their job properly. If a tutorial does nothing more than frustrate the player, it's not worth having in the game at all.

3. Remove the voice acting. I'm sorry to say that the voice acting is so low quality and confusing that it does nothing to enhance the game at all, and only serves to ruin the immersion of the game. I'm not sure why it's in there to begin with and quite frankly think it should be deleted from the game. Or if not, at the very least give us an option to disable the voice acting so we can just read the text instead. It doesn't help that in the English version your character is voice acted in English, but then when you walk around the Harbringer, all the NPCs are voice acted in Russian.

4. Decide whether your character is going to speak in third or first person. When interacting with various objects around the game world, sometimes your character speaks in third person, and sometimes in first person. Again this is an immersion breaker. Decide how you want your character to speak and stick to it please.

5. Translate the keybindings menu. In the English version all the menus are in English, except the keybindings, which are all in Russian. This makes rebinding any of the keys very hard and should be fixed if you plan on marketing the game to non-Russian speakers.

6. Improve the pacing in the early game. Early on your only weapon is a pistol, and when you are asked to look for "diggers" in the loading bay, you come across groups of 10 mobs all clumped together, which all aggro onto you the moment you shoot 1 of them. No matter how good at kiting you are, you will die to this many mobs. This to me is punishing rather than challenging because you will die no matter what. Is this intentional? Is the progression meant to emulate a dark souls game where you go into an area, kill a few mobs, die and then slowly progress forwards bit by bit? Or is this simply a matter of poor pacing in the early game? Either way I think this needs looking into, as this will be a big turn off for a lot of players.

7. Automatically reload the gun when the magazine is empty. This is a minor nitpick but I see no reason why you should have to push an extra button to reload your weapon when the magazine is empty. It's one of those things that seems like an extra thing to do to artificially increase the game difficulty for no reason. Either that, or it's an oversight on the coding.

8. Make the Harbringer map multi-tiered. There are many levels to the Harbringer, and it can be very confusing trying to navigate. Is this intentional? Because I spent most of my first hour of the game running around the place trying vainly to follow the map and not ending up where I needed to go. Making the map multi-tiered so you knew what level you were on and what level everything else was on would help streamline the initial leveling process rather than have new players wonder around aimlessly looking for where they needed to go. Again this can put off a lot of new players.

Aside from all of this, I've so far encountered 3 bugs:

1. Getting stuck on terrain. This happened a couple of times when I ventured outside the Harbringer for the first time, and I got stuck on the edges of the road a few times.

2. Mouse curser disappearing. When speaking to NPCs, if you open up the inventory with the keyboard command and then close the inventory using the mouse (by clicking the [x] button in the top right hand corner) the mouse curser disappears, meaning you cannot click the responses to end the conversation. Opening and closing the inventory with the keyboard command fixes this.

3. Occasionally movement keys stop working. Again sometimes when speaking to an NPC, when you close the conversation window, your movement keys stop working. Opening the inventory or options menu fixes this.
I have never had the bugs you encountered happen to me. As for the mouse cursor issue and keyboard issue, the game currently is picky about the OS you are using, I have personally tested this theory already. When I first got the game I was on Windows 10 Enterprise, which gave me issues with my mouse cursor and some keyboard function issues when I tried to play the game. I decided to change to Windows 10 Pro later on and ever since that, I have had no issues at all. In my opinion, the current version of the game doesn't seem to function well on every Windows OS. Maybe this new patch will fix the weird compatibility issues.

I have never had the bugs you encountered happen to me. As for the mouse cursor issue and keyboard issue, the game currently is picky about the OS you are using, I have personally tested this theory already. When I first got the game I was on Windows 10 Enterprise, which gave me issues with my mouse cursor and some keyboard function issues when I tried to play the game. I decided to change to Windows 10 Pro later on and ever since that, I have had no issues at all. In my opinion, the current version of the game doesn't seem to function well on every Windows OS. Maybe this new patch will fix the weird compatibility issues.
Thanks for the reply. That is interesting although I too am running on Windows 10 pro 64bit.

Bacterial

PG Community Overlord
Staff member
Offtop:
hey Ive got answers from Community Manager, Im just a bit too busy to post em right now (need some time to translate, sorry).

Top Bottom