Is this a sandbox MMO?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Shoeshine, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Rookie

I'm dying for a syfy sandbox MMO to come out soon now that The Repopulation is on hold for at least 1-2 years more, and Earthrise never took of and was shut down. Is this going to be a sandbox MMO or a themepark one?

2. NewbieGummi

NewbieGummi Firestarter Founder

It looks like everyone got their own opinion on what does the word "sandbox" means for a game. Can you please explain further on your expectations?

3. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Rookie

Well Im a old school gamer myself. I come from UO-days of gaming. As I said b4 I think that The Repopulation was going to be a sandbox. Where for instance the economy was entirely playerbased. Players made all the best gears etc and sold them. Same with EVE Online. You have territory controll. Player built stations etc. A living breathing world where the other players are your berst friend and your nemesis. Different faction fighting for power. Where you can go anywhere from the get go and do whatever you want to progress. Instead of jumping on a wagon and being taken through a narrow path to get to top lvl like a themepark.

Edit. Btw how can I change my alias? I got my RL name there... :p

4. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

Some mix in between seems best. The really narrow level gated themepark is indeed horrific, but total anarchy with random players making all content is pretty bad as well. Some overview and guidance from good devs makes all the difference. Second Life was anarchy as an example - one of the first things you might call sand box.

5. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Rookie

EVE is prolly considered the best sandbox out there and they have both anarchy in some zones, and democarcy etc in other sections of space. That's what makes a sandbox so fun. there is something of everything. Just like in real life.

Sahelanthropus likes this.
  6. Sahelanthropus

Sahelanthropus Space engineer Founder

But only if you poop money..