1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

LORE - Space ships

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by Fairdwin, Nov 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fairdwin

Fairdwin Rookie Silver Avalonian

So, it occurred to me that I find myself needing to know. What, if any, kind of FTL do the ships use in Project Genom?

I ask, because I am writing a thing and it will come up sooner or later.

2. Stolpskott

Stolpskott Inquisitive

Hmm, that is something for the game designers to really answer... but as the game starts with a release from cryo-stasis after what appears to be an automated crash-landing on the planet, and with the entire crew seemingly having been in that situation (from reading some of the in-game books and background information), then either PG takes place in a system a VERY long way from home, or we only have sub-light travel at the moment. Plus, none of the other tech we have access to at the moment seems to suggest that humanity has advanced so far.

Proxima Centauri is a little over 4 Light Years away and contains a rocky planet in the "Goldilocks Zone" that Scientists believe may be capable of supporting life. Barnards Star is about 6 LY, Sirius is about 8.6 LY - these are a few of our close neighbours. At the other end of the scale, our Milky Way Galaxy is probably somewhere between 100,000-120,000 and 150,000-180,000 Light Years in diameter, while the Andromeda Galaxy is about 2.5 Million Light Years away... we would definitely need cryo-stasis to get to that one, and also to reach most destinations within our own Galaxy.

Looking at the propulsion systems, sub-Light travel would probably be at a fraction of the speed of Light, while FTL travel could be several or many times the speed of Light... so that 4 Light Year journey to Proxima Centauri could take 40(?) years with sub-Light drives or months/weeks with FTL. For a 40 year flight, depending on the risks or knowledge of cryo-stasis, you may send both the colonists and a live crew with the intention of waking the crew a year or two before arrival. I am guessing that either did not happen or the journey was interrupted, suggesting we are a lot further from Earth than 4 LY :)

Also, regarding cryo-stasis - freezing colonists who have no value or role during the journey would allow you to carry less food - here on Earth, the average person consumes 700-900 kilograms of food in a year. In American terms, that is almost 1 ton. 10 tons of food to feed a crew of 5 or 6 for 2 years (for maintenance and final approach control) would not be too bad, but factor in a need for some of the colonists to be thawed out on arrival and start food production, and you probably need quite a bit more. To have the entire colony awake at all times throughout the trip would be unfeasible unless you have Star Trek-style food replicators - indicating a level of tech that is not seen in this game.

So, that wall of text/thought process leads me to think that FTL travel has not yet been discovered. Also, this planet we have bumped into may or may not be our intended final destination, and there may or may not have been a crew on-board the Ark with responsibility for looking after the ship. I am pretty sure the original plan did not involve building this huge ship, filling it with colonists, and sending it out to crash-land on some random spot on a random planet, so something seems to have gone wrong somewhere :)

HardV and Ravrohan like this.