Played the game for 2+ hours yesterday

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by ChocoQ, Apr 6, 2016.

1. ChocoQ

ChocoQ Rookie Founder

So, here's my honest opinion of the game, I realize it's in Alpha, but the developers need all feedback to make the game more polished.

1. The game is voiceovered in Russian, perhaps adding an English dub would be worth while.

2. UI Likes to reset and not work, alot. You can't interact with anyone when this happens, and you can't complete quests. It took me around 30 minutes of exiting and restarting the game to get past the first tutorial section when you spawn into the game.

3. The minimap hasn't really worked for me outside of the Tutorial area, and I've explored pretty much everything in the game there is atm.

4. The quests are the hardest thing ever to do, I can't complete the ones I currently have, because it's impossible. Since the MiniMap doesn't work, I can't look for the quest areas on the map.
    It might be a good idea to take a page from Firefalls book, or Fable 2 and Fable 3, and add in "on screen" markers to each objective that lead to where you need to go.

5. I can't click on anything above half of my in-game screen. Everything below I can. That sounds really vague, but you can see it happen in my live stream.

6. Because of #5,(I'm guessing) I can't get into the settings, controls, sounds, etc.etc. The only 2 buttons that work, besides the graphical one, is Log out, and Exit game.

7. When you die, you can still shoot/stab.

8. When you go into a new area, Such as Cave Diggers where everything is level 4, and the Queen Digger is level 10, or the other area where all the monsters are level 11, unless you stop moving and then sprint out, you're stuck. Your character moves straight back to the spawn point unless you quit moving, and then sprint out. Really weird bug.

9. There is no "zoom in" effects for guns, it makes the game really difficult imo (I'm not a fan of TPS Games to begin with)

10. Please add in a First Person mode with Iron Sights. That would be amazing, and would be totally worth the wait for this game (Atleast for me)
    FireFall's concept is good, I like it. What I don't like about it, is they have no iron sights, and the Sniper acts like an Assault rifle should.
    Take FireFalls mistakes and make this game even better.

11. This hasn't happened yet, but I hope I can make my point with it,
    When the game releases, and you release your microtransactions,
    Please, for the love of everything that is holy, make it fair and not Buy2Win.

Add in subscription bonuses, like extra XP, extra in-game money, etc. Extra stuff, not stuff that should already be in the game for a F2P Model (I'm guessing this game will be F2P On release.)

For the marketplace, sell Cosmetic items only. Take a page from SW:TOR's playbook, sell "Customizable Armor" and "Customizable Weapons" or go the route of DFO, and make it "Avatars" or "Skins" that replace your current weapon.
    Don't make the cosmetic items give you a stat bonus, that wouldn't be right. But if you did decide to do this, make it strictly Movement Speed/FireRate/Defense. No extra damage, that would break the game in my opinion.

Basically, core features of the game should be accessable to the F2P community, there should be no "In-Game currency limit" or "Level limit"

Make free Updates (DLC) for the game for new areas and the such. This way your game would be regarded as "Truly Free2Play" and more players would buy subscriptions and cosmetic items because they wouldn't feel like they Had to pay for it. They want to pay for it.
    And customers who want to pay for something are better than customers who feel like they *have* to pay for it.

#11 is basically my warning to the Devs/Publishers. The game won't last long if you go the greedy route that Nexon typically takes.

12. Obviously Character Customization is an issue, I've already read that customization will be added in, and it won't be so in-depth at first.
    Keep in mind that Character Customization is a big part of any game, and the more features you have, the more a player would love to play around with it.
    Go back to #11 and Customization is Cosmetic, so you could charge for special Hairstyles/Colors/Makeup/Tattoo's, and it wouldn't be game breaking.

13. Blade Combat.
    Blade Combat feels kind of weak in my opinion. It's not very fluid and pretty basic. Take a note from Fable, each click is 1 slice, add in a Block feature and Dodge feature to make Blade Combat more immersive. It'd have to be skillful, and since Blade Combat would be the only way to block an enemies attack, tactically using a blade would be better.

14. Add in a "Slot Feature" for weapons.
    So you could hold 1 Pistol/Shotgun, 1 Assault/Sniper, and 1 Blade.
    Take a page from Warframe for this one, but take it a step further.

Example:
    Slot 1: Blade
    Slot 2: Shotgun
    Slot 3: Sniper
    Slot 4: Grenade

However, V (or Middle Mouse Button) could be a Basic Mele you can use while you're shooting something.
    If you wanted to take advantage of the blade feature, you would pull out the blade from Slot 1, and you could do combos/block (Like Warframe.)

Take that style, but improve on it.

15. the way Bullets Travel/Register.

As you've noticed if you play, the "shooting" weapons of the game are very wild and random. You can miss an enemy right infront of you because of the way this works.
    This should be tweaked before Early Access and Release. A zoom-in feature would make the spread much tighter, and in First Person mode, ironsighting would have the same effect as Zoom in.

16. I haven't used sniper rifles yet, but I can say this,
    Please, for the love of everything that is holy, make the sniper rifles scope in feature, click and hold.
    Not click=scope in click again= scope out.
    Or make a feature in the options for it. 1 zoom, when you're zoomed in, use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    I can't stand games that don't use the Click and Hold feature for iron sighting. It hurts my head.

And that's my opinions/warnings/wishes for the game.
    I hope I was descriptive and helpful, and I hope you take everything into account.

I want to help you guys make the perfect game, F2P Model, or Subscription based. Not sure what you guys are looking forward to doing.

I'm already a founder, and I'm here to help you guys out,
    So,
    :Cheers:

2. NewbieGummi

NewbieGummi Firestarter Founder

Half of what you've stated here will (probably) be fixed in the upcoming big patch, that we've been waiting for 3 (?) months. Now for the rest.

That's basically the whole point, you have to actually read the dialog and try to understand all by yourself. Every quest is like a puzzle that you have to solve, where you actually have to think, unlike a lot of other MMOs (khm.. khm.. BDO).

Devs said that the game will remain B2P for at least a year. No DLC (updates for everyone).

I can't stand games that use the Click and Hold feature. Difficult to aim properly, so it's better be an optional thing.

This one sounds pretty cool. I'd love to see a melee block stance in-game, since blades are pretty under powered at the moment. It will also provide more "armor" to tanks, which are typically melee.

I recommend you to read about the upcoming update here: Developer’s blog 4

Vesta likes this.
  3. ChocoQ

ChocoQ Rookie Founder

Okay, first one, I ran around the entire map that we can currently access, and I mean everything. I could only complete 1 quest of the many I don't have done, and no one has a Question mark over there head, and I interacted with literally everything that was interacable.
    It needs some form of "Go here" on screen instead of using the mini map (Idk if it currently uses the minimap because my minimap rarely ever shows up)

2nd one, good to know that this will be Buy2Play. Perhaps they will release it for Free2Play eventually, and hopefully they do a great Free2Play model, the one I stated would definitely work.

3rd one, I already said to add in an option, most FPS Games have the option of "Toggle ADS (AimdownSight)" I saw a poll on the forums for an "On the fly between 3rd and 1st person view" so that would be cool aswell.

4th My suggestion is making the mele combat work alot like Fable's Mele system, rather than Warframes.
    But incorporate combos for mele attacks, that would be cool.

So I guess make the game like Fallout/Borderlands/Warframe/FireFall and mix all the good things about those games into this one and make the most revolutionary MMORPG ever.

The quests are ridiculously hard man. I really can't do them, I've interacted with everything, I read the dialog, it doesn't tell me where to go. The translation from Russian to English is a big hit, primarily because I don't speak russian.

4. NewbieGummi

NewbieGummi Firestarter Founder

Honestly, I have no idea why is it that hard to you, I've done them all without reading dialog(well 2-3 at most). Though, I spent the first hour of playing just roaming around the map and basically exploring it. I've memorized all the spots and names of NPC. After that, quests were easy. Also, I never concentrated on doing them one by one. Just take all of them and roam around the map, see what you can do at the moment, and the rest will follow up.

5. Bacterial

Bacterial PG Community Overlord (outdated) Staff Member

hello and welcome o/
    as for RU2EN translation, I thought there was an option in Esc menu, to switch text language to English

6. Bartez

Bartez Moderator Staff Member

The game will be B2P for the first couple of years.

We don't planned first person view, only third person view. Maybe later we made first person view.

Melee system will surprise you after some updates, i hope;)

Description and quest dialogs will be improved. And you can switch language in game menu
    Снимок.PNG

7. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

I like the way quests are in Genom because many if not most of them seem to make a natural sense - like going to the med bay for where you might find the formaldehyde for the hand.

If the world gets a huge amount bigger, then it may get more complex and not work quite as well if there is too much choice making it confusing, but right now in the modest sized space we have it works well for me to get to know where the different NPCs are for quests and hunting around for things works OK given the small space we are in right now.

I am not a fan of too much hand holding for quests and even worse for what to kill.

There is nothing more annoying than having huge balloons and pointers bobbing over the heads of enemies pointing them out to shoot.

It is even worse when the enemy is supposed to be an Elite Sniper (meaning they might have a brain to hide), and still they have a huge red bobbing pointer over their head - when they are hidden!

The Division does this in an incredibly stupid way, for example. They have Snipers as enemies. Good. They Snipers give away their positions by shining a light in our direction before a shot. Good. That makes it possible to know where they are so the game is fun vs. frustrating. Then they completely FD#$# it up! They put a red pointer over the sniper. That isn't enough, so they make his body illuminated with wireframe dots. THAT ISN'T ENOUGH - so they put bobbing orange markers over them. THAT ISN'T ENOUGH EITHER to they give us an ability to SIN-tag them with a ping. Pardon me - but WTF! Why are there FOUR LAYERS of SPAMMED GARBAGE MARKING THE LOCATION OF AN ELITE SNIPER!

Sorry for the rant! Let's not do this in Genom!

MolliMayhem likes this.
  8. MolliMayhem

MolliMayhem Wanderer Bronze Founder

Wanted to add about sniper rifles, since sniping is my favorite thing...please make the sniper zoom selectable between click and hold or click to zoom and then click out. Personally, I like click and hold..it's much easier to quick scope with that. I find the two click method to be pretty impossible for quick scoping!

kristakis and Slab Hardcheese like this.
  9. EntropyRising

EntropyRising Wanderer Silver Founder

I think one of the problems with the questing side of things is that it can be hard to tell what is interactable and what is just filler. Like classic Point and click puzzle games it can be fun to get a clue that you have to work out yourself and then go and find the solution, what wasn't fun was mousing over the entire screen to find that one context sensitive piece of paper in the pile of papers.

Similarly getting a quest to retrieve a sample of Unobtanium X from the Med bay is good, I need to find the med bay but once there having something that helps me identify what Unobtainium X looks like greatly reduces the frustration of trying to work out what tiny context sensitive thing I need to interact with.

Maybe including a picture of what needs interacting with. One idea I found really engaging was in Dragon Age Inquisition. You had a form of radar ping that highlighted collectibles and sometimes led you to secrets.

10. Criterion

Criterion Tester of things Bronze Founder

A few things I'd like to point out here. Some things I've read, not just here but in other messages, seem to automatically assume that the game will be F2P. I know it won't, and I know it's been clarified here that it won't, but also understand that a B2P game is designed differently than a F2P game. The monetization is a whole different thing in itself and I, for one, hope they never have the need to go to a F2P model because very few companies seem to be able to get that right. It is more complex than just "Make it free and add stuff into the shop.".

About the quests, they are not hard. The difficulty being had with them atm is due to a non-functional minimap and that, apparently, some of the quest objectives were removed during work on the map or something, which makes completing them not hard, but literally impossible. This is not a problem to be concerned with, just a fact of life with a work in progress. There are many things you will find missing or changed from a previous build you might see in videos. For example, there used to be a waterway right out in front of the base that is no longer there, but the sound emitters are still there so you can be running along a hilltop and it sounds like you're right at the water. Things like this I can't see needing to report because this is obviously very much a construction zone. Just remember. ALPHA. Not Beta. This is not the time to be concerned about mission polish. It's not the time to worry about how mechanics are applied. It's time to see/test/play with mechanics actually being built.

Above all, and don't anybody take this the wrong way, but just a gentle reminder so that the group of us that have come from another game aren't viewed as an invasion of a bunch of people that are trying to tell them how to make their game just because we are fresh from seeing how not to do it. These people are not those people... and personally, I can't wait to see more of their style. :)

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  11. Slab Hardcheese

Slab Hardcheese Rookie Golden Founder

I managed to complete a bunch of quests, but none of the timed ones. By the time I realized it was timed they were over. Part of my issue was not being able to fully read the dialog text because it goes away too fast so "thinking about the puzzle" didn't always work. Also I was running around like a spaz getting used to non-inverted mouse ;).... It got OK as long as I wasn't trying to shoot anything. Then my natural instincts kick in and I spaz dance. LOL