1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Question to devs - How does armor leveling work exactly?

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by SpeedyBullet, Oct 27, 2016.

1. SpeedyBullet

SpeedyBullet Rookie Golden Founder

Hello devs,
    Me and I think many others would love to know how armor leveling works. We all know that you gain armor points for taking damage and weapon points for dealing damage.

But about the armor points: How do you gain armor point the quickest?
    - By taking alot of hits with low/average damage
    OR
    - By taking less hits but with high damage per hit?

It would be very helpful to have this simple question answered. :)

2. Stolpskott

Stolpskott Inquisitive

Lots of low-damage hits that exceed the threshold for gaining xp, while wearing a full 7 piece suit of Tactical armor that is of a low enough level to be mostly ineffective against the mob you are fighting, which should also be high enough level to damage you, but not so high that it can kill you in 4-5 shots.

ok, a couple of points to clarify there, if you want a slightly more complex answer to a simple question ;)

Damage threshold? The damage threshold for gaining xp increases as you level (Character level, afaik, not Armor level). In anticipation of the next question, no I don't have the specific numbers that define the threshold at each level.
    Why Tactical? Taking a comparison between Tactical and Assault, with Sabotage/Commando being somewhere between the two, Tactical's low Armor values give minimal damage mitigation, resulting in more of the incoming damage getting through and generating XP for you. Assault's high Armor value mitigates more of the damage, so you take fewer hits that exceed the threshold for gaining xp.
    Why a full 7 piece suit? Because you get a bit of xp for every piece of armor you are wearing, so wearing 7 pieces of armor will generate more Armor XP than only wearing 6... with a caveat I will get to in a moment. However, if you wear 7 pieces of the same type, there are type-specific passive bonuses you can take which will boost the armor's core effectiveness - in the case of Assault, this means increasing the Armor value (so you take even less damage, and get even less xp), while with Tactical it increases your Shield value (so you can take more hits before dying/running away, thus gaining even more xp).
    The caveat to a full 7 piece suit is when you reach the point where you are taking less damage than the threshold. I find this usually happens when I increase my Armor durability (increases the Armor value). In that case, removing one of the armor pieces will typically bring your overall Armor value down to a level where you start taking significant-enough hits again. Basically, there is an Armor value range within which you are going to get optimal xp gain. That range is dependent on your level, as well as the mob's level, and possibly on the mob itself - I am sure i have seen cases where taking damage from level 18 Hounds was ticking at 1-2 points per hit (no Armor XP gain), while level 18 Sliders were ticking at 50-60 points per hit (2-3 Armor XP levels gained per fight). So it could be a very complex relation between several parameters.

Translation of that point? Try it, and see what combination of armor and mob/mob levels works for you :)
    I am sure the devs could dig out the formula used to determine the armor XP gain, but that would probably obscure the underlying behaviour.

3. SpeedyBullet

SpeedyBullet Rookie Golden Founder

Hmm i've noticed that my armor points increase more quickly as a lvl 33 assault when getting damaged by Fruit Pests (lvl 35) instead of Krengs (lvl 36). This was with all 7 assault armor pieces equipped.

4. Stolpskott

Stolpskott Inquisitive

Interesting. How much of that damage is actually getting through the armor though, I wonder?
    Given that a lot of items in the game have modifiers to specific damage resistances, it could be that the Fruit Pests are simply doing more damage per shot than the Krengs, or it could be affected by a damage resistance modifier that is not currently shown anywhere in the UI (and which might not even be implemented yet).
    Either that, or lvl 35 Fruit Pests are simply pushing out more damage than the Krengs one level higher - that is also a possibility at this point :)