Shield System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Fiku, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Fiku

Fiku Rookie

Right now Shields are just additional HP. Why not use Shields to reduce incoming damage until the it breaks?

2. Sahelanthropus

Sahelanthropus Space engineer Founder

I like it how shields absorb all damage untill they are shut down.

GlitchyGirl likes this.
  3. GlitchyGirl

GlitchyGirl Inquisitive Golden Founder

I like that concept as well. Also as mentioned in another thread, I'd be very interested in seeing "shield tanking" made a viable mechanic ala Eve. That way you can have a shield tank, vs armor tank type situation which would also make varied types of damage much more a viable thing. (As I discussed in another thread xD)

OctoberNight and Sir CrossBorn like this.
  4. OctoberNight

OctoberNight Cookies Golden Founder

I like this idea as well and is something I would like to see

5. NewbieGummi

NewbieGummi Firestarter Founder

Not really, since light armor has more shield than the heavy armor, so making "shield tanking" a thing will mean giving the light armored characters the ability to tank as well as heavy armored do, making heavy armor useless (since it will be heavier and slower). Why use a heavy slow armor if you can tank the boss with light and fast one?

6. Sahelanthropus

Sahelanthropus Space engineer Founder

Because we all know how fast shields get melted...

7. GlitchyGirl

GlitchyGirl Inquisitive Golden Founder

The short answer is because we are in alpha and given this fact, we have the advantage that everything is open to change. Or more specifically we are at the point in the game where we have this opportunity to add an extra layer to PVE and PVP that will perhaps make the game more fun by allowing extra choices.

The longer answer? See below! And yeah I typed the long answer first xD

Not exactly. Who said that the regen for shields has to at the exact same rate as it does for armor? We do know that already shields drain, and regenerate a lot quicker than does armor. So would it really hurt to increase the rate at which shield regen to make it a viable tanking option through the use of addons or armor modifications that add to the regeneration speed of the armor, much in the way you could do so for the shields? Because in the end this would lead to a much more diverse form of play styles. (which is awesome in my mind at least!)

For example, you could take advantage of depending on your regen rate to keep you alive. So that your light armor depends on the ability of the shielding to fill back up after taking a few shots to keep you alive. That would be pretty effective against higher rate, smaller damage weapons. up close fighting, light rifles etc. But would be a lot less of a good idea against heavier weapons - melee, sniper rifles, higher damage, slower firing rifles, rocket launchers, and so on! Or you could try to balance out (but not as effectively as medium or heavy armor) the regen of your shields with an attempt to bolster your physical armor, so that maybe you can take more than two hits when by one of the larger weapons in the hopes of have enough of a regen to keep alive while making your get away.

While on the other hand looking at heavy armor you'd be equipped to deal with taking either sustained punishment (that comes from lighter weapons), or even bear the brunt of the heaviest of attacks. This would be the result of a situation where you have a larger amount of HP (read armor ) to spare. As such you can look into maximizing the regeneration of this armor through modifications that allow you to regain more of your armor back as opposed to the slow ..... slow trickle that is HP compared to shields! Now yes you would be slower, but at the same time because you already are slower. It wont make as much of a different to carry heavier weapons, or even more items.

And of course medium armor would offer that happy (medium) between the two, offering more flexibility obviously especially with the use of modifications. Now not as well as heavy , or light mind you... but something that is still more versatile when dealing with different types of other groups.

Add to this that already it has been mentioned that different damage types will be a thing in this game. This could add to further add customization, or choices to be made through allowing people certain resistances, or vulnerabilities to specific types of damages based on their choice of armor (light, med, heavy) while also allowing further choices in what type of resistance you can build by adding or seeking to obtain different items or armors that could give such resistances.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Vesta likes this.
  8. srobi

srobi Rookie

When got hit the shield and health stop recharging, if only the shield take the damage the health should keep recharging.

9. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

I see shields as having three primary parameters:

1) Magnitude/Capacity

2) Regeneration/Recovery Rate

3) Delay to Regen (time from Shield damage to when recovery starts)

I think that the Borderlands series of games did a good job in making a shield module which accurately used these three parameters to define their shields.

Right now, we can influence the magnitude (1) of our shields with armor we equip and get good at using to give us bonuses.

We can't yet change the regen rates or the time before regen starts.

As we get better with armor types, we can see benefits to shield magnitude (as for health, energy, crits etc.).

Are there thoughts for having armor bonus types include shield regen rates, shield delay to regen times?

Are there thoughts to make shield modules as separate modules (equipment items)?

What about additional shield types:
    - shields which reflect ballistic projectiles (cause ricochet)

- shields channel electronic/plasma damage and chain it to nearby enemies (fun!)

Visuals:

- shield impacts cause visual effects on screen

- shields have some kind of limited AOE damage somehow related to incoming damage (visuals for this etc.)

I can see a lot of fun things that can come out of variations on the shield archetype.

Thoughts?