1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

Spawn Mechanics Discussion Thread [English]

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Pighead Elderberry, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Pighead Elderberry

Pighead Elderberry Wanderer Golden Founder

Here i another thread on an important topic for English Language, I think.

How, where, when enemies spawn in the Open World

Please everyone when they have time, add to this thread so we can learn and discuss in the English Language forum about this important topic.

2. Pighead Elderberry

OLDEST DAYS (E.G. ORIGINAL EVERQUEST)

In the earliest MMOs like the first Everquest, enemies and resource nodes both would always spawn in the exact same location and typically just stand there. Remember (if you are old like me) killing the same skeleton in the water, waiting 10 seconds, having it res again next to you identical to the one you just killed, killing it again, over and over and over...

OLD(ER) DAYS

We then like in the original WOW saw more variation when enemies would spawn and then at least they would move/roam from their original location so we would at least encounter them in slightly different locations.

NEW DAYS - interactivity of non-player entities

In games like Tabula Rasa we started to see enemies that would fight one another (non player entities). This gives the world a 'living breathing' aspect, and then player characters can use this to their advantage (like when in FF people used to lure a Rageclaw into a Chosen take tower, for example). This is great!

Does Genom intend to implement this?

NEW DAYS - CONCEALING SPAWN POINTS OR MAKING THEM MAKE SENSE
    We then and now saw games like Tabula Rasa and Borderlands (and some of FF) have entities (enemies) spawn from places that make sense for the game world.

The simplest example is Borderlands dog critters coming out of the caves, Tabula Rasa's spider creatures coming from trees...

Even better (fantastic in fact) is in Firefall where players can see from a long distance away (or close up, of course) an obvious visual and audio effect of a Chosen Drop Pod coming down through the atmosphere with a noise and smoke trail and then landing and depositing enemies.

Tabula Rasa did that with ships that would land and drop off enemies (Firefall now also does this with ships a well).

QUESTIONS:

I see now in Open World build that Genom has dirt mounds/holes like piles of ant hills. I am hoping these are spawn points for diggers?

Devs?

Can you tell us (I hope to hear yes) that Genom will have only the kind of enemy spawning that works with the the world system (like Hounds from lairs, diggers from digger holes, bird creatures from the sky or trees, humans from vehicles than zoom in or ships/pods that fly in etc. etc. etc.)?

It really really makes a huge difference in the Open World if enemies appear in ways that make sense to the game world and do not just spawn out of nowhere (and certainly not in the exact location).

When you get a chance please comment! thank you.

OctoberNight likes this.
  3. Pighead Elderberry

p.s.

Similar questions for resource nodes/plants/minerals and such.

Are there plans that resources will also spawn in a way that makes sense AND also gives some variety.

For example, rather than picking the identical flower plant at the same pixel location over and over, can flowers grow in a field (or a spawn region) so that we have some variation in location for them? Same for other resources, as it makes sense.

I for one, would love to see and end to the days of enemies and resources popping up again and again at the identical x,y loc in the world over and over and over...

4. Vesta

Vesta 3D modeller Staff Member

For now we did not consider this question as you are talking about. But in far future this possibility of enemy spawning with the the world system can be in fact. Girl_Nout323

5. Pighead Elderberry

I understand that in Alpha there are a lot of things to accomplish - but I hope this can be something that comes relatively early in the development process.

I think the sooner it is part of the world, the more smoothly it will blend into the world. If the whole world is created and then this sort of dynamic is added later, it may not look as nice as if it is part of the world from the start.

I see you are so close to it now with the Digger Hives that I already see you have created and placed in the world right now (see other post about Encounters). The 3D object for the Diggers to come out of already exists now in the game.

6. Pighead Elderberry

I posted more of this idea on the Open World Encounter thread...

I think you ALREADY are doing what I am talking about almost 100% right now.

I just was in the new cave and saw the Bandit Camper with the 4 Bandits next to it.

If the Bandit Camper door can open and Bandits can come out of it (or even just fake it and have them appear by stepping through the door) - there is the Bandit Spawn point.

There also is the entire Bandit Camper Open World Encounter.

BANDIT CAMPER SPAWN POINT
    Bandits come from the Camper door (ideally it opens, but who really cares in Alpha if it opens or not).

BANDIT CAMPER OPEN WORLD ENCOUNTER
    A number (4 at the moment, but could be any number) of Bandits are outside the Camper
    A player engages them in combat.
    A number (can be any number according to Encounter parameter variations) of Bandits comes out the door during the combat.

Done! You have both the Bandit Spawn Point and the Bandit Camper Open World Encounter complete and done.

I believe the same can apply to the Digger Hives just as easily (just make the Diggers spawn at the holes).

In the Alpha nothing more need be done than the above.

My main point for doing this is to:

1) Make an in game world spawn mechanic that makes sense in the world
    - you already have this by having the Bandit Camper made already right there

2) Make the number of enemies unknown to the player until he starts the fight
    - just make the unknown number 'come out' of the Camper
    - you effectively have done this already, just make them pass through the door (open or not, who really cares)

If you could do just this little change, it would be 99% of my dream for the Open World Bandit Camper Encounter!

FUTURE
    - Bandit Camper can drive into the Game World from outside of player view
    - make it drive so fast that we can't shoot it until it stops and Bandits get out, for example
    - then Bandit Camper could appear anywhere and any time
    - that is future fantasy... no need for that kind of thing at all now

OctoberNight likes this.