• Technical support is temporarily provided through the Discord

Weekly Report Weekly Newsletter [#7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumuro

Chief Web Engineer
Staff member
Introduction

Hi everyone interested in the Project Genom development! Another week of intensive work is over and the game is now closer to the first major updates.

Software

The most significant event this week was completing the network part of the project. The network has successfully passed the first tests, it works and is stable. Now we’re ready to move on with the longest, most complex and comprehensive work on updating the project is finally complete.

This week, due to successful network tests, we began working on the switching between servers. Each dungeon, each unique location or even one part of a large location will have its own server. In a seamless world and in our case when a character travels from one location to another, in fact, it is a switch between two servers. The better this switch is implemented, the fewer bugs and glitches as well as purely visual problems with sticking animation frames there will be (ones that were present in the old project version).

We started testing the new game database (DB). It contains all the game information beginning with the character's name and ending with every item’s parameters. This new database will work much faster than the previous one, which will affect the game quality. The faster the database is, the faster the information is exchanged between the client and the DB, and the faster player gets the reaction for the action (opening inventory to browse available items, opponent’s death, loot dropping and so on).

Our team began work implementing the possibility of expanded customization at the game start. We are also setting the possibility for changing some of the appearance parameters directly during the game after the character’s created (for example, changing the hairstyle, underwear or makeup).

This week we updated the character animation blueprint, which is responsible for all character animations. In the previous version, male and female characters had the same animations. In the current version, we want to introduce the differences between two types of animations and that required modernization.

We conducted several closed tests during the week. They aimed at testing the Spitters, Miners and their lair. These tests revealed a number of flaws that were quickly corrected: we fixed the bug with the Linux game server packing and the restart service and authorization service bug. The team fixed the physical materials bugs. We corrected the inventory flaw which allowed equipping objects by dropping them in the wrong slot and cracking the inventory over encumbrance client. We also fixed the exchange between objects and the sticking context menu inside the inventory.

World

The Raider research camp dungeon is 70% complete. This large area up to one square mile will be filled with both peaceful and hostile NPCs, as well as many side quests. We try to give players the opportunity to choose between different gameplay styles and add various options for interaction with the environment, which adds some special game mechanics. For example, the possibility of infiltrating the enemy base will add a special type of opponents who will mistake the player for one of their kind and will only attack after a specific action is done (enemy is shot, sabotage, attempt to enter the restricted territory, and so on).

The open world began to expand towards the Dump site. The Dump surroundings are a unique biome and stand out with their dry desolate terrain and special characteristics.

Some visual improvements were made inside the Dump dungeon. Now the location has more detailed and characteristic garbage heaps, updated and optimized stone materials as well as slightly more details at some quest points.

Designing the scientific camp, we work on adding the mesh decals. In fact, it’s an inexpensive option for detailing a low-poly model, for example, when an additional polygon with a texture is superimposed over the finished surface. Thus, using just one detail card and one material you can improve the visual component for numbers of game objects. No need to create unique texture maps for each individual unique object.

Character

We updated some types of sound for the player character. For example, we added new sounds for steps and jumps over different types of surfaces. Also, there are different sounds for characters in shoes and walking barefoot. In addition, we changed and improved the shooting and recharging sounds for various types of weapons.

NPC

This week, 18 new animations for non-player characters have been added.

Several updated models of NPCs used in the main quest have been added into the engine.

We’ve done the work on skinning for most of new NPCs, including face skinning for facial expressions.

The team added a small visual improvement for the NPCs’ eyes. An additional model with transparent texture was added to the eyeball, imitating a shadow from the upper eyelid. Without this shadow, characters' eyes are enlarged making them look crazy.

Storyline

We began writing the quest-related dialogues. These dialogues should help players to get a deeper insight of the events, tasks, certain circumstances and incidents taking place on Avalon.

Conclusion

No doubt, the completion of the game network code was the main event of the week. We are glad to see the optimistic primary testing figures as it means that we chose the right direction. In addition, with the network being ready we have the possibility for further processing of the remaining base code parts. It pushes the project closer to open testing, which is planned for the first half of 2017.

We’d also like to remind everyone who suggests buying the game that it’s in the alpha stage. So, we strongly recommend not buying it if you expect a full-fledged finished project. We advise you to wait until the game enters the beta testing stage or even later if you want a full game experience.

strider6000

Raider
Gold Avalon
Well done NH with the net code, hats off to you! . Really like the images of the dump and how you have changed it. Keep up the great work.

Dinariok

Resident Of Avalon
Gold Founder
Great!
Really like the way you refine details, which are not so noticeable at the first glance but form an overall impression

Good luck with your work! :)

Snipperhoofd

Alien Scientist
Gold Founder
The most significant event this week was completing the network part of the project. The network has successfully passed the first tests, it works and is stable. Now we’re ready to move on with the longest, most complex and comprehensive work on updating the project is finally complete.
Congratulations! Glad to see this major hurdle is taken. Although it does make me more anxious about the update.

No bugs allowed! Squash 'em, squash them all!

caino666

Raider
Gold Avalon
This is wonderful news, and it's great to see you're working. Now, with the network complete, will you be releasing updates to the live version of the game?
I assumed Golden Avalon would give us access to the test server, apparently not, so we're still waiting for new content.

Is this a reference to these updates? "It pushes the project closer to open testing, which is planned for the first half of 2017."

Bacterial

PG Community Overlord
Staff member
This is wonderful news, and it's great to see you're working. Now, with the network complete, will you be releasing updates to the live version of the game?
I assumed Golden Avalon would give us access to the test server, apparently not, so we're still waiting for new content.

Is this a reference to these updates? "It pushes the project closer to open testing, which is planned for the first half of 2017."
«live» version of the client won’t be patched, to my knowledge.
its too big of a deal to implement relatively small patches into live version while working on the new one at the same time.

caino666

Raider
Gold Avalon
«live» version of the client won’t be patched, to my knowledge.
its too big of a deal to implement relatively small patches into live version while working on the new one at the same time.
I'm sorry, do you mean that the new network system is a small patch that won't be implemented yet? From the post, I was under the impression that it was a huge breakthrough that would be coming to the live version of the game shortly.

I was also under the impression that the network code being rewritten was what was preventing any updates to the live client.

Bacterial

PG Community Overlord
Staff member
netcode is a huge part of the rework, but live client won’t be patched with just netcode, they still need to finish other parts to roll out this huge update.

afaik.

AmmokK

Raider
Silver Avalon
And once more, a great update.

Now the hardest part is done and other aspects get worked on, right?
Really looking forward to the big day!

DeadDuck

Raider
Gold Avalon
Congrats on the mile stone! This came faster than I thought it would!

I had predicted October-ish, but my calculations had a variable that was difficult to account for that I knew was overestimating things, so ... It's great news, NH! Keep up the good work!

That's a fantastic news! As i could see all the team is working at is best!
I really like how the world is becoming more and more intresting and alive.
The process for the costruction of the different buildings it's a very clever way to manage it and finally is paying off.
I cannot wait to explore the world and lose myself in.
Hoping the best for all the future updates and for the team!
P.s The main idea for the quests it's fascinating
GJ!

DeadSkullzJr

Phazon Clan Leader
Gold Founder
That's a fantastic news! As i could see all the team is working at is best!
I really like how the world is becoming more and more intresting and alive.
The process for the costruction of the different buildings it's a very clever way to manage it and finally is paying off.
I cannot wait to explore the world and lose myself in.
Hoping the best for all the future updates and for the team!
P.s The main idea for the quests it's fascinating
GJ!
One step closer to the patch, stay tuned for more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom