1. Hello everybody! We almost received awards from MMOsite, remained the last spurt! Please, if you have not did it - vote for us
    Dismiss Notice

When will Xinput support be implemented?

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by HALOxZealot, Oct 28, 2016.

1. HALOxZealot

HALOxZealot Rookie

Greetings developers and/or moderators,

My question is simple ... When will Xinput support be implemented?

I ask this question because it is the second most popular form of input for gaming on PC's. I also express concern due to it NOT being implemented at an earlier time and not seen as a higher priority then what it is. By choosing to not implement Xinput support, I fear you could be isolating that large player-base from enjoying and effectively supporting the future of the game at such an early and vital point in the games life.

2. AOD_Cruxdaca

AOD_Cruxdaca Inquisitive

Ah the inevitable Xinput post. Well actually the DirectInput killer Ximput user base isn't actually as large as you think it is. Now it does have its place in many games here and there, thought mostly lower quality indy games and console ports. Not to say some pc only games of quality don't support it, just that it's not really that big of a thing overall. VERY few MMO players use controllers due to the limited inputs available on a gamepad, then there are shooters in general that the precision of mouse and keyboard cant compare. Try playing any game with multiple skills or activateable abilities on a gamepad, not enough buttons. Again some exist but it's very much not the norm. Not to mention using a bumper as a modifier key gets annoying and can lead to mishaps and confusion very quickly in a hectic session.

Don't get me wrong I know people that use gamepads in FPS's and TPS's on PC, though each of them are people that converted to pc from primarily playing on consoles.

Nothing wrong with adding it if it's feasible control wise, but its very much a nonvital issue and shouldn't be treated as such, not to mention all the extra work involved if the control scheme was altered or other issues of the same matter came up, you would have to totally retweak the API allover again. Not worth the effort this early or until a more finalized state. Besides the fact it wouldn't affect the population overall.

If it's that much of an issue, use joy to key.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  3. HALOxZealot

HALOxZealot Rookie

This was a question meant specifcally for moderators and developers. The "Great Indifference" between Xinput users and KB/M users, or like peoples opinions of it, is not something I wish to discuss here. The developers have isolated a specific group of player, which is much larger then PC gamers realize due to the shifting of console users to PC and the sales of the XBOX One ELITE controller. Even at a generous 35% userbase, that is support that the game loses out on and could possibly gain a negative opinion of them due to that. Support is vital for an MMO and LACK OF IT is the MMO killer, proven in hundreds of failed MMO's.

Again to all players, this topic was NOT made to debate the opinion of whether Xinput is a popular one or one that should be supported. As a game developer in this generation, all forms of input should be supported to avoid isolating a much larger userbase then MOST may want to admit. As developers striving to create a popular MMO they are making the mistake of isolating a massive population of gamers from being able to provide ANY support to the games future. That is the biggest point I would like to make. Developers who dont take losing money seriously, due to a simple implementation of the Xinput drivers and API, dont show the determination to make the money they will need to continue to develop and maintain there online servers in the future. This is a deep concern for me. SureIone person may not matter but when you have a user like me who has spent $1000s on MMOs I enjoy then the questions validity becomes more clear to me.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  4. AOD_Cruxdaca

AOD_Cruxdaca Inquisitive

This is a forum, forum...,

fo·rum
    ˈfôrəm/
    noun
    noun: forum; plural noun: forums; plural noun: fora
    . a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Either way it comes down to the reasonability of such a control scheme. If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit, if its a bad match it would be like arguing for controller support for typing of the damned.

Outside of that, expanded or alternate control schemes are a late development cycle item, to be implemented once the primary control scheme is finalized.

5. Stolpskott

Stolpskott Inquisitive Golden Founder

The control scheme is relatively simple at the moment, because we are still in early Alpha. Having said that, there is nothing on the development roadmap regarding Xinput support, and judging by what IS on the development roadmap and what has been given by the designers as the list of priorities, Xinput and any other alternative control methods seems to be a long way down the list.

AOD_Cruxdaca likes this.